Dusty Trails

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Dusty Trails

Post by dave54 »

A series of books by Glorianne Weigand -- Dusty Trails, More Dusty Trails, and Dusty Trails Again. The books are a series of family biographies of the earliest pioneering families in the Big Valley area of Shasta, Modoc, and Lassen Counties. Many of the families are still in the area and still operate the original family ranches and farms. The author herself is 4th generation on the same ranch. I personally know several of the descendants and did not realize the family connection to local history.

Because I am familiar with the region, the stories are almost personal. Many of the incidents and anecdotes mentioned are in backcountry locations I have hiked and camped. Now I know the history behind geographic place names like McCoy Flat, Gerig Springs, Brown's Butte, and many others.

I bought the books at The Pardner, a ranch and farm supply in Susanville. Another book store in Susanville, Marge's Book Nook, realizing they cannot compete head-to-head with the internet and big chain book stores, specializes in local history and natural history of NE California.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rockinrocker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Dusty Trails

Post by rockinrocker »

Sounds interesting