Tioga Pass Cam Moved

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Tioga Pass Cam Moved

Post by BSquared »

If there are any other Sierra webcam junkies out there, be aware that the Tioga Pass webcam, which comes up blank on the Yosemite Association web page, has been moved (I'll e-mail the YA right away to let them know, but my guess is that they already know but haven't had time to update their site). The new location is http://tenaya.ucsd.edu/tioga.
Last edited by BSquared on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Tioga Pass Cam Moved

Post by Hikin Mike »

Thanks! I e-mailed them last week and they said it was because of the servers. Glad to see it's back up!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Looked like the best thread to post this update on: http://tenaya.ucsd.edu/tioga/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
29 October 2010
Tioga Pass camera is down

It is unlikely we will have an opearational system this winter (2010/2011)

The Yosemite Conservancy has contacted us and is interested in helping us restore the camera system at Tioga Pass. We do not have a formal committment from the Yosemite Conservancy yet. We have forwarded a list of equipment to the Yosemite Conservancy and we are still waiting to hear back on whether they are going to fund it. The National Park Service is offering use of their satellite link for transmission of the images (this will alleviate the power/phone line issues we have had). The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for Tioga Pass starting tonight with accumulations of 10 inches possible. The delays we are having now make it less likely we will be seeing images from the Pass this winter.
Thank you for your interest and please check here for the latest updates!
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Thanks, Russ! You must have done some pretty diligent searching to find this old thread ;)
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Any thread you start, is easy to find.. :cool: Sucks that they don't move faster as i sent an email to Mary about options in August.. Heck, the CDEC group has satellite uplinks as well, about 100 yds from their cam, and they work with them. Glad the Conservancy stepped up.. 120 is still listed as closed on the DOT site, from Crane flat to TM. Not sure if that is accurate.

If they can get the equipment, there's still Eastside access. When Markskor and I were at Saddlebag in Oct, everything was pretty shut down. It'll really depend on if they still want to mount that cam to the old tree again..
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

rlown wrote:Any thread you start, is easy to find.. :cool:
Maybe you can find the old thread about everybody's most-hated pass and tell them about it over here! ;) I know there was an old thread about that (I contributed my frustrating experience of taking for-oxygen-deprived-ever to find Lamarck Col from the west side), but danged if I can find it...
—B²
East Side Hiker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by East Side Hiker »

I checked out the address you gave and the last photo date was in 2009.

Is there a new cam address for Tioga?
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Nope. Check out Russ's post ("rlown") above, and you'll see that they don't expect to get it working this winter.
—B²