Snowpack Levels Are Up In Sierra Nevada

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 02:45 PM
BJ Hansen
MML News Reporter
http://www.mymotherlode.com/News/articl ... 1201819563

Sacramento, Ca -- The Department of Water Resources conducted its second snowpack measurement today in the Sierra Nevada, and it brought some positive results.

Spokesperson Don Strickland says four areas in the Sierra Nevada were measured, and the snowfall total was between 115-123% of normal for this time of the year.

The numbers are a far cry from last year when the total was around 37%.

A spring afternoon in the Sierra Nevada.

“Basically it is looking good,” says Strickland. “If things continue as they have this month, we should be in pretty good shape.”

Strickland points out that it is still a long way from spring, and the percentages could fall if temperatures rise considerably or the precipitation level takes a dive over the next few months.

Surveys are conducted monthly between January and May. Strickland says that the most telling survey typically comes in April.

Written by bjhansen@mlode.com
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
SteveB
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by SteveB »

All the snow this year compared to last is definately a good sight! :) Up this way we've had about 3 serious storms, with quite a few daily hangers-on, so it's definately looking like it'll be a nice spring! As of this morning we're expect just a hint of snow for the next two days, then nothing all week. I'm just heading up toward Boreal to see if there's any good snowshoe'ing up there, but next weekend should be glorious! Everyone should get out and enjoy the white stuff!
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I can't get out to enjoy or work in it. I came down with something at work yesterday, I do have to go out though and clear some more paths with my snowblower. Do it all again tomorrow. At least I'm not in the Lake Tahoe area, but the 42" or so on the ground now is good.

How about those trucks getting blown off of 395 in the Washoe Valley?
Piece of cake.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

5+ feet in my yard.

Just came in from another round of snowblowing. 2nd time today. Probably have to do it again in the morning.

The paths to my workshop and woodshed look like something from WWI trenches. :lol:

The birdfeeders are getting a lot of use. A couple of Clark's Nutcrackers today. Not common here. They are normally found at much higher elevations. The weather must have pushed them down to my level.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

5+ feet in my yard.

Just came in from another round of snowblowing. 2nd time today. Probably have to do it again in the morning.

The paths to my workshop and woodshed look like something from WWI trenches. :lol:

The birdfeeders are getting a lot of use. A couple of Clark's Nutcrackers today. Not common here. They are normally found at much higher elevations. The weather must have pushed them down to my level.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

sierra snow

Post by Sierra Maclure »

I'm up here in Serene Lakes not far from Boreal, at 7000 feet. We shoveled 6 feet off both decks over MLK weekend and scooped another 4 off yesterday and today. We're supposed to get another 2-3 feet tonight. We're shoveling with new awareness after taking an avy class. The only bad thing is that while we were out skiing, the roof shedded big-time and it came into the greenhouse window here on the second floor. Not sure whether to leave it blocked up with snow, pull the cellular shade and ignore it, or shovel it out and do something else.

I had a great day skiing with the new hip. Got it replaced last Feb and skied today for the first time. The snow is incredible! Very light and fluffy.

I'm glad to see our sierra getting some precip. It was so dry last summer.

AND I'm glad to see the forums up again. I missed the community.
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Sorry for the duplicate posts. My computer kept saying it timed out and I'd try again. I'm up here on dial-up. What can I say.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Sierra Maclure wrote:Sorry for the duplicate posts. My computer kept saying it timed out and I'd try again. I'm up here on dial-up. What can I say.
Had the same problem and I am on digital path. It's not your provider or computer.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

dave54 wrote:
Sierra Maclure wrote:Sorry for the duplicate posts. My computer kept saying it timed out and I'd try again. I'm up here on dial-up. What can I say.
Had the same problem and I am on digital path. It's not your provider or computer.
No, it's on my end. I made a change that should somewhat help the problem, but probably not a perfect fix. Hoping the software update I'm going to implement in the next day or two will be the solution.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Enough already with the snow! Here's some pix from Donner Summit - from the inside:

I hope I got this mid-message picture-posting down right.