Onion Valley, Kearsarge Pass and beyond Nov. 17-19, 2007

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Onion Valley, Kearsarge Pass and beyond Nov. 17-19, 2007

Post by Trekker »

A long drive from San Diego forced me to alter my plans somewhat. Backpacked up to Flower Lake Saturday, day hiked over Kearsarge Pass to just east of Bullfrog Lake on Sunday, hiked out on Monday. The weather was perfect for this time of year!

P.S. Captions are below pics.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/561507488pgffMO
Last edited by Trekker on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Beautiful area with snow! Thanks!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

great hike and pictures Trekker -
I may not make it back into the Sierras before the heavy snow comes in - thank you for posting those pictures
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Nice pictures, Trekker! I particularly like the pictures taken from the top of the pass. The start of a new season is always so beautiful... the contrast of the light dusting of snow on the ruggedness of the rock is so dramatic.

Looks like you had a good time... thanks for posting!
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Great shots, I could feel the crisp air.
Sierra Maclure
Topix Regular

Post by Sierra Maclure »

Whew! I'll bet it was chilly. I didn't realize the last snow stuck that well. And the lakes are freezing up. Cool. Great shots. Thanks.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Thanks, everyone. I don't know if everyone saw the captions; they're below the pics wlhen you open the thumbnails, but are not readily viewable unless you scroll down. I'm still not sure how to get them to pop up when you put the cursor on the thumbnail. :o

Snowy, I've been up to Kearsarge a number of times, but it sure looks beautiful with the snow up there!

Tomcat, I'm glad I got up there at least once before another snow; this weekend will be much colder.

Rosabella, I always like cresting a pass; the way the views unfold is always so dramatic!

Ridgeline, the air was perfect; just the right temp to make it an extremely comfortable hike, and the views were great-no haze!

SM, believe it or not, for most of the dayhike up and over the pass, I had on just a Marmot Driclime Windshirt over a Patagonia T; of course once the sun dipped out of site, the layers came out!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for sharing. Yes, it hasn't been too bad yet this year, up to the last day or so that is. It has been awhile since I spent more than one night in a row out this time of year.
Piece of cake.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

It's amazing how little snow there is, this late in the year. How nice to get this trip in November.

My major success for the month was just putting a backpack on today and taking a hike in the local mountains. It's been 4-1/2 weeks since my shoulder surgery, and I was finally cleared for takeoff.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Trekker- nice trip pics. Glad you had fun! Hey, on Webshots, I think it's the title of the pic that pops up, not the captions. Try putting something in the "title" area of an individual pic and see if that works. Space is limited- just another thing I didn't like about Webshots....