Federal Requirement to Mask Up On Federal Lands

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Federal Requirement to Mask Up On Federal Lands

Post by Lumbergh21 »

So if Biden follows through on his campaign statement to require all people to wear a mask while on federal lands, will you comply? Will you make sure you are wearing a mask while climbing Mt Langley? While hiking up Lamark Col?
https://www.govexec.com/management/2020 ... gs/170501/
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Federal Requirement to Mask Up On Federal Lands

Post by c9h13no3 »

It'll be no different than it is now. If I have to get within 6 feet of someone on a trail, I try to wear a mask.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

The referenced article says that Biden has considered a mask mandate on federal lands, but implies that the likely mandate will only cover federal buildings. In any case, a mandate on open space areas like national forests would likely be the same as the one we deal with every week hiking locally in our open space preserves - wear a mask if you come within 6 feet of other people. That's fine with me.
-Phil
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

wildhiker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:18 pm The referenced article says that Biden has considered a mask mandate on federal lands, but implies that the likely mandate will only cover federal buildings. In any case, a mandate on open space areas like national forests would likely be the same as the one we deal with every week hiking locally in our open space preserves - wear a mask if you come within 6 feet of other people. That's fine with me.
-Phil
Agree. The article is probably misstating by simplifying. I'll wait and see the exact verbage of the order first.

In either case, FS and NPS LEO's are not likely to be stalking the trails looking for mask miscreants. As many of us hike either off-trail or on lesser used trails, I do not see it as large inconvenience.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

I'm lucky to live in an area here on the SF Peninsula with a phenomenal number of trails all within walking distance of my house. Everyone I pass on the street and trails all are wearing masks/bandanas/etc as we pass each other. It's just become habit for me as well and not even something I really even think about any more so I don't see it being an issue in the Sierra.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think the California county "stay at home" regulations are more of a problem. My daughter who lives in Merin County was "scolded" by her kid's school principal for going up to their second home at Soda Springs this weekend. And her employer (a private school in Marin) sent her an e-mail saying to not travel from Marin County.

Thankfully masks are light weight- no big deal to bring one on a backpack trip and have it handy when you meet others on the trail.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I agree. We're feeling the same way about our cabin near Sonora. Can only hope this gets better soon...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mom is on chemo. Niece works at Walmart and still having friends over to the house. A mask won't do anything for that. Front country is a bigger risk.

Back country, not so much.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

As wildhiker related, the federal order is for those going inside buildings and not about outdoors if safe practices are employed.

Almost no healthy fit persons are catching the virus outdoors that has now 10 months into the pandemic become very clear from research and studies. I often "hike' urban streets where momentarily encountering people at somewhat less than 6 foot distance is common as urban sidewalks and paved urban park paths, are often not 6 feet wide. And my mask is just in a pocket, not on my face. Is that an issue? Not at all. While smiling, I just hold my breath a few seconds while passing just as any 8 year old kid learns to do when walking past a ripe port-o-potty. Likewise myriad joggers, bicyclist do the same especially if there is any kind of breeze. Lots of people are still skiing this winter while ski resorts have posted detailed policies of how to do so safely with a result almost no one is catching the virus while on slopes despite having to stand in lift lines and share lifts. Thus I ski down slopes with my mask below my chin and before entering lift line mazes reposition it carefully on my face.

Recently Newsom appointed a new doctor that had been running the San Francisco pandemic policies to do so at the state level. San Francisco has been excessively restrictive policy-wise versus other SFBA counties. His first order included a change limiting travel to 120 miles within the state that puts much of the Sierra Nevada for outdoor enthusiasts and all Tahoe skiing off limits to SFBA residents. Up to this point, I have conformed to every policy order put forth from the first shelter in place orders back in April. However going forward, I do plan to ignore that order just as a great many others have chosen to do because the outdoor enthusiast demographic including skiers is being made scapegoats. And note as a law abiding person, I am normally not one to dismiss laws and policy thus have to clearly understand and be able to defend such positions.

The rates of we enthusiasts is way way low as anyone looking at age and ethnic stats can see. At this late point, the behaviors and the demographic causing most virus cases is well known that anyone can readily view on state and media websites. Authorities have chosen the broad swath approach because focusing just on the problem demographic is considered politically incorrect. Note that demographic is not much to blame for their situation. And authorities and politicians are aware that much of the enthusiast demographic is quietly ignoring that latest order as they too quietly don't enforce it because there isn't much point in playing hard ball, wasting resources, in bothering with those that are not much an issue as long as they don't rile up some disgruntled news media storm.
Last edited by SSSdave on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:28 pm I think the California county "stay at home" regulations are more of a problem. My daughter who lives in Merin County was "scolded" by her kid's school principal for going up to their second home at Soda Springs this weekend. And her employer (a private school in Marin) sent her an e-mail saying to not travel from Marin County.
Yeah, the stay at home orders are causing this weird scenario where employers are enforcing quarantines after their employees travel outside the law mandated radius. It's sort of becoming a don't ask don't tell situation where the employee takes on the risk. I'm not particularly comfortable with having an employer enforce travel restrictions.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.