Bench Valley 1989 Trip Report

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bench Valley 1989 Trip Report

Post by sekihiker »

After the underwhelming reception of my Courtright-North Lake report submitted earlier this month, I doubt it's worth the effort to post a report for another old trip here on HST.
So, here is a link to it on my website.
Bench Valley 1989: http://www.sierrahiker.com/BenchValley1989/index.html
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Bench Valley 1989 Trip Report

Post by balzaccom »

Don't assume that a lack of posts indicate a lack of interest. I enjoyed your North Lake TR--especially those cute shorts!

Nice to see this area---we were here about ten years ago, in early July, and had massive skeeters as well. Seems to come with the territory that time of year. But you cover a lot more miles than we do---then again, you were a lot younger then, too!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

No question.. great to see these reports..

Somehow this area in general ( anything in the sierras west of the muir trail/kings canyon) does not get enough attention.
It is a really special area.. only been in this area twice myself. But I plan on rectifying this soon.

You can get to so many places here and not see any people.
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kylekuzma »

Thanks for this. I've been eyeing a similar trip so good to see some more photos. Thinking about taking an extra day and going over hell for sure to explore goddard canyon as a day hike
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

Bill, your reports got me back into the Sierra after a 30 year absence (live in NH now). This is one of my favorite areas. First went there in 1969 when I was 15. Thanks for posting.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

tlsharb wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:33 pm Bill, your reports got me back into the Sierra after a 30 year absence (live in NH now). This is one of my favorite areas. First went there in 1969 when I was 15. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for the positive words. My motivation to write trip reports is to help others enjoy these precious mountains.
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

I was in Bench Valley last year for the first time and it is a special place. We headed straight from disappointment lake to little/big shot, without losing elevation. We were dive bombed by peregrine falcons at the top of the first pass in your photos. They sounded briefly like a jet flying overhead. Look forward to going back to the area some time.

I always enjoy your reports and this one is no exception. Thanks for sharing these special times and inspiration with all of us.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

I enjoyed your last trip report very much and this one as well. I've read them all. My first backpacking trips were in the western Sierra (I grew up in Fresno and left in my mid-20s, though I returned later to the western Sierra for backpacks). I especially liked your photo of Big Shot looking toward Two Passes (or Lucifer's Saddle as it was named by Sierra Club leader Jim Watters). I have a distinct memory of approaching the saddle from Big Shot Lake and the route over. Your photo is exactly as I remember the pass: up the middle, and hang a right on a ramp and a quick left to the second pass (at least the way we went). I' hiked this route in around 2005 or 2006 in the other direction and eventually over Blackcap Pass into Blackcap Basin. Beautiful area. One of my favorite trips.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the kind words, dougieb.
dougieb wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:52 pm We were dive bombed by peregrine falcons at the top of the first pass in your photos.
For me, it's memories like these that bring trips into sharp focus.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the comments, SweetSierra.
SweetSierra wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:52 am I especially liked your photo of Big Shot looking toward Two Passes (or Lucifer's Saddle as it was named by Sierra Club leader Jim Watters).
I met Jim Watters at Hamilton Lake in 1997. He was leading a trip to Mineral King. He was a leader with gravitas and confidence. I was surprised at the route he was taking considering the condition and age of some of the members of his group. Because of his leadership, I'm sure they all made it just fine.

Now that I know that Jim named the Two Passes, "Lucifers", I will probably start referring to them by that name, even though it's more to write and say.