Shasta conditions

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Shasta conditions

Post by ridgeline »

Any beta on Shasta? trying to get on it after an early snow, enough to glissade a good portion down for a one day trip, likely route would be AG.
Will be hit and miss on the wind, if it is possible.
Thanks
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

You want me to email mtsteve? He works in a mountaineering shop/manufacturer in Redding.
Piece of cake.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Would like to know if and when they get the first snow that would allow a safe glissade day, this would make it a one day climb.
Thanks PS: Tom, tried to pm you, stuck in outbox. e mail latter.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Glacier icy on backside, not much snow, looks good but not much depth, maybe after next series of storms per Steve.

5th Season in Mt. Shasta snow phone 530 926-5555.

Let me know if I can help any. He just had a knee operation, so he won't be doing too much this winter, we are trying to get him to organize Snowfest again with all of us helping to haul gear in to the Lassen area.
Piece of cake.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Thanks Duane, appreciate the info, would like to hit this after the next snow storm. Also looking into a car rental from Dunsmuir, I can take the train from here and get off in Dunsmuir for 1/3 the cost of gas, and sleep all the way. Comes in daily at 5:30 am.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Hi Ridgeline,
I don't want to butt in unwelcomed, and I sure hope you won't find this rude, but if you'll allow me to offer a word to the wise: if you plan to travel by train north to Dunsmuir/Shasta, allow for lengthy and unpredictable delays in your planning. Amtrak's Coast Starlight is notorious for being the worst at keeping its schedule, and it's mostly the fault of running on UP's (and before that SP's) delapidated trackage system. Not to mention every freight up and down the line has priority, pushing poor Amtrack off to the nearest siding until it passes by. Last three times I rode Amtrak, it was 12, 3, and 6 hours late, respectively. You might already know about this, if so please excuse my presumptiveness.
On that happy note, have a great slide! :D
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Timberline, I know there could be delays, I did this once before and it was actually early, at which time the train sat until departure time. All in all the climb won't happen until the following am. problem now is Dunsmuir or shasta have no rental cars, could get off at Redding and drive 1hr.
Options, can get on two miles from home, walk on and go, take all gear on with me, eat, drink, read and sleep. Could drive 10 hours one way and drive home after the hike, could set two hrs. in airport at Burbank, fly to Sac. rent a car and drive 190 miles.

Need some snow first!
Last edited by ridgeline on Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Well, ridgeline, I shouldn't have worried. You have this thing covered from all angles, and you will prevail! Go for it! :nod:
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Well, Shasta is dry, Ice above 9000'. Locals are doing snow dances. You are looking at some tough climbing right now with no chance to safely glissade. I met some friends in Dunsmuir and drove to Mt Shasta, did a short walk up to the SC hut, looked at AV Gulch route and went down for burgers and beer at the Dugout. Gonna keep in touch with the mountain report from the fifth season and possibly do this Mountain when it puts a blanket on.

Train ride was convenient on and off, on time, but 17 hr versus 9-10 hr driving from Simi Valley CA. Drive home was easy, took turns, good conversation, sleep etc. Hate to say it, but the burgers at the dugout were the best I have ever had, still love the WP's though, just a different kinda love.