Thanksgiving Weekend Little Lakes Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Trailguru
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Thanksgiving Weekend Little Lakes Valley

Post by Trailguru »

Hello HST,

I'm planning on going on a short backpack this Thanksgiving weekend to LLV area. Plan is to get there Tue night and camp in one of the lower campgrounds and then backpack there Wednesday and Thursday.

I was told by the Whitney ranger that we can park by the gate and then hike the rest of the way up to the Trailhead so we will likely aim for that. She wasn't really sure how far the gate was other than to tell me it might be by the pack station but she said she wasn't 100% sure either. Here are my 2 questions.

1.) Does anyone know how far the gate is from the trailhead?
2.) Given that all the downstream campgrounds are closed what are our options for camping on Tuesday night?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Thanksgiving Weekend Little Lakes Valley

Post by c9h13no3 »

Trailguru wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 pm 1.) Does anyone know how far the gate is from the trailhead?
2.) Given that all the downstream campgrounds are closed what are our options for camping on Tuesday night?
Generally in November, you'll want to park in the Rock Creek Sno-Park.

Dispersed camp low where the temperatures are comfortable.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

From the Sno-Park, it’s 4.7 miles to the LLV trailhead (according to my Gaia app). From the Pack Station, it’s 1.3 miles.
Per County road information, Rock Creek Road is currently open to the Pack Station. Later on (with a lot more snow), I think it closes at the gate just beyond the Sno-Park.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

grampy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:44 am From the Sno-Park, it’s 4.7 miles to the LLV trailhead (according to my Gaia app). From the Pack Station, it’s 1.3 miles.
Per County road information, Rock Creek Road is currently open to the Pack Station. Later on (with a lot more snow), I think it closes at the gate just beyond the Sno-Park.
Yes Grampy; spot on info. I read a guy in the RCL forum drove up to the boat ramp last week. The gate is closed at the Pack Station and will close when it snows for the season and revert to the sno park which is adjacent to the East Fork Campground down canyon.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

As long as the weather forecast is clear I would park at the pack station also. You might want to consider camping at the Mosquito flats backpackers camp and day hike from there. Once the winter really sets in and the road closes lower down they put up a canvas walled tent with heater/firewood and beds in the BP camp that you can rent a cot in.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray