SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fiti
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by fiti »

This photo was taken from JMT in September 2019, above Duck lake. Can anyone please tell me which peaks are in the background. I try to identify peaks from Caltopo, but not sure.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am re-processing some older photos and these merged panoramas of El Capitan struck me as interesting. The first is using the Photoshop Elements 10 "spherical" setting, the second using the "cylindrical" setting. I often try both or more settings to see what looks the best. Although vertically stretched, the cylindrical setting (second photo) produced more of the "feel" when looking up at El Cap, while the spherical setting is more "accurate" of the fore-shortening you see.

Every time I go through old photos, I find that early season Yosemite, and the valley views in particular, offers some of the best photographic opportunities in the Sierra. Even average photographers like me can get some nice shots.
4532-34_newB_edited-2.jpg
4532-34_newA_edited-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

In one, the big tree is leaning one way, and in the other, it is leaning the other way. You can avoid that by getting your camera totally level. Several of my cameras have an electronic level warning feature. Use it if you've got it. You can also beat the problem by using a DSLR with a tilt-shift lens, but those are not very common.

There is a big tendency to tilt your camera up a little when trying to frame up something very tall like El Cap. Try to resist.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The photos shown in my previous post is a merge of 3 images (portrait orientation). The tilting of the tree differently is due to the different processing methods.

The photo below is a single image taken from the same location. I believe the tree tilt is lens distortion. Yes, probably caused by tilting my camera up. As you can see the trees tilt right on the lift side and left on the right side. I am not sure I could have avoided the lens distortion this close no matter what I did and still get the entire rock into the frame.

I think I can fix the lens distortion in Photoshop, but I have yet to figure it out. I have tried, but so far not successful.
small_170_4533.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

fix lens distortion in camera raw, or with a camera raw filter if you shoot jpeg. If the lens is known to Photoshop, it is one click. If not, you can move some sliders to correct the perspective. Some lenses have complex distortions and you only get part way there.

Merged images are best corrected before merging. You still will get odd distortions due to the conversion of what is a cylindrical or orbital pan of the world around you into a rectangular frame. Luckily, unless the subject is a world famous subject like El Cap, nobody knows what it really looks like in the place you took the photo and it will look just fine to them
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

fiti wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:04 am This photo was taken from JMT in September 2019, above Duck lake. Can anyone please tell me which peaks are in the background. I try to identify peaks from Caltopo, but not sure.
First off, this is not above Duck Lake, but below Purple Lake just steps off the Purple Lake Trail, an area where camp sites can be found. In 2017, we camped a quarter mile below Purple Lake and the peaks are the same you were seeing, just with a wider lens (and it certainly works as a Sierra Inspiration for me right now :nod: ). In fact, that leaning dead tree in your frame is also visible in mine, just a little further down the slope.

Enjoying the moment

The peaks from right to left are Sharktooth Peak with all the snow on the flank (the "tooth"), then to the left of that Silver Peak with the snow filled ravines. On my image, Graveyard peak is behind trees on the far left, while on yours it may just be visible on the far left edge of the frame.

https://caltopo.com/view#ll=37.5267,-11 ... .5,-133.46

Nice color in late season. I don't travel on that side of Cascade Valley very often, but the view there is worth the occasional visit. I prefer having the trail all to myself over on the Goodale Pass trail that parallels the JMT below the peaks in your image.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks for that information. I actually like the distorted picture. It has been fun playing with different perspectives and merging methods. Sometimes the end product is not true, but quite "artsy". Same with making some odd color renditions. Going B&W and then leaving one color for emphasis is also fun to play with. As you can see, with the COVID restrictions, I have way too much time on my hands!
fiti
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fiti »

@fishmonger
Thank you for explanation and for naming peaks. It is true that location is not above Duck Lake, actually is below. But not below Purple Lake as you suggested. Exact location (caltopo) is 37.5379 -118.9734. I can see that from my GPS track. However, Sierra is truly magical and hope to come again next year.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Wandering Daisy says:
I actually like the distorted picture. It has been fun playing with different perspectives and merging methods. Sometimes the end product is not true, but quite "artsy". Same with making some odd color renditions. ... I have way too much time on my hands.
Yes, we all have extra time on our hands, but I don't know if I would alter my photos; I am into "strait photography." ;)

DSC01568.jpg
My son in the molten snow.

DSC00900.jpg
Lizzie high on Mount Langley.... Ian high on?
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

fiti wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 pm @fishmonger
Thank you for explanation and for naming peaks. It is true that location is not above Duck Lake, actually is below. But not below Purple Lake as you suggested. Exact location (caltopo) is 37.5379 -118.9734. I can see that from my GPS track. However, Sierra is truly magical and hope to come again next year.
you are correct - I was mistaken about our camp site location. Looking at the map, it is your coordinates where we camped as well. The key here is "below Duck Lake." It is the same spot in the images. Below Purple Lake is a different landscape.

I've camped up at Duck Lake twice before and it is a very different place up there. Even at the outlet of the lake, the terrain is steeper and the trees are far smaller. Below the view over to Sharktook and Silver Peak from just below Duck Lake

Morning panorama

and this is Silver Peak from above Duck Lake, but still near the outlet. It is a big lake that more or less ends just below Duck Pass

Duck Lake and Silver Divide

I'm hoping to get back up there again next year, and I may even hike that segment of the JMT on my way south, something I haven't done in a very long time.