Let the blame games begin!

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
mikehike
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mikehike »

We have a "let burn" policy it just happened, its called california livin.
We don't have hurricanes and tornados, we have earthquakes and fires.

Thats a few glasses of Halloween chianti talkin...

Happy halloween everyone
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

Excellent summary of the problem Dave
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

Dave,

Very imformative, your statement also supports what I beleive to be true which is controlled Burns do not reduce this ecosystems flamability. The Chapparals ability to overtake grasses and become the primary plant community within 2-5 years after a fire, is so rapid we would have to have controlled burns on an annual or bi-annual basis.

After the angora fire there were several Homes (anomilies) which survived due to the use of concrete siding and managing there defensible space. I did here that some of these homes (although they were completely intact) had so much smoke damage they had to be torn down anyways.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

mikehike wrote:...I did here that some of these homes (although they were completely intact) had so much smoke damage they had to be torn down anyways.
Smoke damage occurs inside homes. Smoke on the outside of a home ought not be important. Thus if someone had such damage, they obviously didn't close their windows or doors or had air conditioning running. Something people ought to be aware of during fires and not leave there homes so. ...David
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

Dave,

Yes Im sure you are right, I am not much of an expert on this kind of stuff. This fire swept down that valley so fast, no one could get back to there homes. I leave my windows open all the time in the summer up there cause the air smells so good.

There was one story where a lady went to the store and left her 14 year old son at home. They closed the streets so the boy had to learn to drive in a matter of minutes and drive there 2nd car out of the fire.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Now that the last embers have finally stopped smoking, developers can get back to business as usual:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 241S27.DTL
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

LOL!!!

Slow learners.

New developments can be made relatively fire safe. It requires compromises by the developers and homeowners, raises home prices, and lowers developers profits.

Anyone want to wager whether the fire safe designs will be implemented?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
mikehike
Topix Regular

Post by mikehike »

I'd like to no where they plan to get the water for 86,000 new homes and swimming pools. I remember back in the 70's there was a movement to divide california into 2 seperate states, sounds like a good idea.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

They'll get the water the same way they get it already. When the northerners flush, it flows south. :lol:

All seriousness aside, though, there is no more large untapped water source in California. Every large basin is already overstretched and over-allocated. Colorado River is over-allocated. That leaves the Columbia. I am certain our Oregon and Washington brothers and sisters will willingly share their Columbia water with California. :D Right?

Large scale desalinization is technologically possible, but expensive and has its own environmental footprint. I don't see any serious talk about it, though.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Below is something I found on another website, and is semi-related to this discussion. The "Q" who authored this paper is Ray Quintinar, the retired Director of Fire, Fuels, and Aviation for all NF's in Region 5 (basically California). Q was not a politically appointed bureaucrat to that position. He started out as a summer firefighter, eating smoke and throwing dirt. He worked up through the ranks to become Director. This gave him more 'street cred' among the firefighters and among his peers than all the professors at all the universities combined. He never forgot his roots, as opposed to some armchair experts who never had roots.

This paper is heavy to some in-house jargon and govt acronyms, and discusses budgetary allocations and the political realities of fire policies.

http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/2007/p ... -later.htm
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=