Thanksgiving Trip? Where should I go?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Thanksgiving Trip? Where should I go?

Post by Aviprk »

Hi there. I would like very much to take one last trip into the Sierras. Hopefully the weather holds up a bit more (3 more weeks!). I know it's too close a call but I was thinking somewhere where it's close by and it doesn't really involve passes, such as Cottonwood lakes area (possibly hike to Cirque and Langley) or somewhere around Onion Valley. What does everyone think?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Always seems tough this time of year to plan a trip. Hard to judge the weather too far in advance, and even if it dumps and you have all winter equipment its still hard to travel because the coverage is sketchy. Cottonwood sounds like a great destination unless the weather doesn't hold. From the east I'd also consider South Lake toward Long Lake, or Little Lakes Valley.
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

Cottonwood Trail head is 10,000 + going to 11,000 at the lakes. Could be a bit chilly.

Bishop CA to South Lake up into the drainage and lakes below Bishop Pass might still be open. That is my fav late Spring hiking area. And you can day hike it and get back to a nice lodge (like the Tamarack in Mammoth), or up to Kearsarge Pass (K Lakes for lunch) the next day and stay at Independences Windumundah (or however it is called). even dayhike up toward Shepherds Pass for lunch at Anvil (much better late June hike), and then dayhike Cottonwood for a third day before heading home.

Several car camps which would be warmer for an overnight outdoors such as on road to Taboose Pass next road north from Independence.

Another option a bit farther away and below 7,500' is the west side Sierra. Crescent Meadow trail head is closed for winter but you can access the High Sierra Trail from Wolverton catching the trail to Bear Paw Meadow at Mehrton Creek or earlier.

From Bearpaw you have a few very nice day hikes to Elizabeth Pass or to Hamilton Lake.

Or still staying low is:

Ash Peaks Trail off the Crystal Cave Road in Sequoia NP
Jennie Lakes Loop in Sequoia National Forest, Jennie Lakes Wilderness
Summit or Maggie Lakes in Sequoia National Forest, Golden Trout Wilderness
Redwood Canyon in Kings Canyon National Park

You certainly don't want to get caught in snow on the higher ground of the eastern Sierra. It really sux big when you don't have a trail to get back to the car because of a foot of snow gives you no clue where to go.
Aviprk
Topix Acquainted

Post by Aviprk »

Thanks a lot guys. I don't like the long drive to the East side and I prefer the Eastside much better. Thanks for the heads up Speacock. I think I cut it down to a few choices now.

Near Kearsarge lakes to Charlotte Lakes.

Cottonwood Lakes basin.

Big Pine Lakes Basin.

Possibly from the west. To Alta Peak and Moose Lake area. Would the TH be accessible this late? I know the route finding should be easy even if trail was lost.

I agree with you Speacock. If I get dumped on, i wouldn't want to hike cluelessly. That is why I want something with a quick escape and something it wouldn't take too long on a mountain road. If i remember correctly the road from Big Pine to the Big Pine TH seemed the shortest of all 4 I mentioned. All plans will be off if there is a big dump. But if not...
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Some of the destinations you've listed are from trailheads that could also become closed for the season with a single storm at this time of year. ...David