Snow and Cold this weekend

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Snow and Cold this weekend

Post by Harlen »

Here's the coming weather, forecast this morning on the NOAA site- Tuolumne Meadows station:

Friday: A 30 percent chance of snow, mainly after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 42. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30
mph.
Friday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4. West wind around 5 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 31. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20
mph.
Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4. Southwest wind around 5 mph.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 30. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 15
mph.

Here's hoping for a nice, cold, snowy winter.

After the storm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Snow and Cold this weekend

Post by maverick »

Hope so, last one turned out to be a dud.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

JayOtheMountains wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:23 am(its going to be a dry winter. low snow. cold temps. skiing is going to suck. get over it.)
Mods, ban plz.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

NWS long term forecasts are for wetter and colder to the north; drier and warmer to the south which means there could be a big difference in southern Sierra vs. northern Sierra. The stormy weather coming in this week is mainly north. I do hope I am wrong and it slides south too.

A while back (I cannot remember the exact year) it snowed early, then they re-opened Tioga Pass in December (or January?) when I was driving back from climbing a Joshua Tree. I think they were more inclined to do a bit of winter plowing then if they could reopen the pass; probably not done now.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Somewhat sad to see summer end, although we need the moisture.

Brought the snowblower out of mothballs and got it ready. Put the lawn furniture and garden kitsch away. Still holding out on the tire swap until we see how this storm develops.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Storm delivers! Up to a foot in Lake Tahoe, Ebbetts Pass Snotel sensor showing 14"!
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.