"November" Green Creek Trail Head, Bridgeport Ca. Tips, Suggestions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
elsanto
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

"November" Green Creek Trail Head, Bridgeport Ca. Tips, Suggestions

Post by elsanto »

Planning a 3 day trip to Bridgeport, Green Creek Trail Head area first week of November. Any tips concerning the beginning of winter (cold) this will be car camping. I’ve done several 3 day backpacking trips in the past 5 years (summer). First time doing a winter trip. Any suggestions, tips are welcome.
Thank you.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: "November" Green Creek Trail Head, Bridgeport Ca. Tips, Suggestions

Post by c9h13no3 »

elsanto wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:17 am Planning a 3 day trip to Bridgeport, Green Creek Trail Head area first week of November. Any tips concerning the beginning of winter (cold) this will be car camping. I’ve done several 3 day backpacking trips in the past 5 years (summer). First time doing a winter trip. Any suggestions, tips are welcome.
Thank you.
Definitely need a clear weather window. Green Creek road is unplowed, unpaved and at 8K in elevation could get some snow. It might make driving out of there difficult if you get weather. Twin lakes road is accessible year round & paved (no mud), that might be a better alternative.

I also generally camp lower this time of year. 2000 feet could get you up to 10 degrees of temperature change, a dirtbag camp down in the valley would be nicer in the cold mornings. Or just stay in a hotel :D. They're cheaper this time of year, and with the cold temps & long nights they can be nice. Paying $200 a night in the summer is ludicrous, the sleeping temps are great and it's light from 5 AM to 9PM. Paying $100 a night in November to sleep warm & cozy, and watch TV while it's dark ain't so bad.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been up on Green Creek camping in a trailer, much more luxury than car camping, late season. Once the leaves have fallen, and grasses die given the dry summer we had, I personally think it would not be very scenic. It may be worth it if you plan to hike up to Green Lake. The last time I was up that road, it was full of washboards and very slow. As far as being snowed in, if only an overnight and there is a good weather forecast, I think you would be OK.

I do not think dispersed camping is allowed at Twin Lakes, so you would have to pay for a campsite at the commercial campground. The FS campgrounds are closed. You could backpack about 2 miles up the trail and camp, but you still have to pay for a parking space.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:36 amI do not think dispersed camping is allowed at Twin Lakes, so you would have to pay for a campsite at the commercial campground. The FS campgrounds are closed. You could backpack about 2 miles up the trail and camp, but you still have to pay for a parking space.
Buckeye road is legal for dispersed camping. Short drive to Annett's Mono Village/Buckeye Hot Springs/Buckeye trailhead. Hang a right when you see the Doc & Al's sign. A lot of those campgrounds are closed for the season too in November, you could probably stay there and no one would bother you if you were discreet. Just no toilet/trash pickup/ect.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.