the best camping food

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
SynergyBlue
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

the best camping food

Post by SynergyBlue »

i imagine here everyone has brought hot dogs and sandwiches with them whenever they were going out on a camping trip i was wondering though what kind of stuff they bring to enhance those foods. does anyone here any mustards like Grey Poupon Mustard with them whenever they go out on a camping trip
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I try not to go anywhere without some Cajon Seasoning. It's not actually hot but puts a nice zing into most everything. It does wonders for a lot of the freeze dried dinners.
Gary C.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I always carry a plastic bag of dried cilantro. It goes remarkably well with practically everything and can make a very ordinary commercial freeze-dried meal much more tasty. And it's amazing how long one can go with nothing but torillas, a little cheese, dried refritos, and some of that cilantro!

Also:

...a very small polycarbonate bottle of very good Scotch...
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

As stated previously...those little "free" fast food packages of lemon juice, tabasco, hot Mustard, Italian dressing, etc, always have a place in my backpack.

Agree also with the Single Malt Scotch comment...one of the "15" essentials.
Mountainman who swims with trout
SynergyBlue
Topix Acquainted

Post by SynergyBlue »

gary c. wrote:I try not to go anywhere without some Cajon Seasoning. It's not actually hot but puts a nice zing into most everything. It does wonders for a lot of the freeze dried dinners.
Gary C.
markskor wrote:As stated previously...those little "free" fast food packages of lemon juice, tabasco, hot Mustard, Italian dressing, etc, always have a place in my backpack.

Agree also with the Single Malt Scotch comment...one of the "15" essentials.
if you guys are definently interested with everything hot like cajon seasoning and yeah hot mustard, something that is right up your alley is a new flavor of Grey Poupon Mustard that i have in my kitchen. its called Hearty Spicy Brown it has a bold taste due to the finely diced onions that are in it. it definently goes well with hot dogs and especially sausages. its worth checking out for sure.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

I do not like mustard (I know, it makes me unAmerican). A small Tabasco bottle serves me well.

I sacrifice the weight and carry a stainless steel flask specifically designed for liquor. Plastic seems to alter the flavor. Contaminating a good single malt scotch is a heinous criminal offense. :lol:
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=