Trip Advice for October

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice for October

Post by maverick »

And only because a muckety-muck doctor stranded by snow down the road at Reds Meadow had spent several hours raising a ruckus with Mammoth city officials.
Was that not in 2013?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

maverick wrote:
And only because a muckety-muck doctor stranded by snow down the road at Reds Meadow had spent several hours raising a ruckus with Mammoth city officials.
Was that not in 2013?
It was in 2009.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

oleander wrote:My favorite for late fall is Paradise Valley out of Roads End in Kings Canyon.

YMMV.

- Elizabeth
Agree it is better to go low, but I doubt they will reopen Roads End this season at all, even if they get the fire under control soon. Just too much mess to clear up and easier to keep Hwy 180 closed while they do it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yup, Oleander is correct, late season is uncertain. Good point about the road- need to take tire chains to get out if there is snow (I sort of forget to consider mentioning this because I always have tire chains with me). My experience in October in the Minarets was the opposite! I packed expecting cold, and only had fleece- did not take a t-shirt. Ended up making an old "hippie" top by tying two kerchiefs together in order to maintain a degree of decency while hiking in something cool enough. Those of us of a certain age remember when this was a very popular fashion statement!

Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

This is a great thread and I am glad that I found it, considering I am looking for a late Oct, early Nov trip.
WD, I remember the hippie top!! Wonder if we are about the same age!
Anyway, Ediza would be awesome but I was afraid that they will close the road.
Paradise Valley and Pear lakes also sound great!!