Trip advice for late October 5-6 day backpack

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip advice for late October 5-6 day backpack

Post by Harlen »

DDDave says:
...But then I hear the usual "I want to be in the High Sierra" in your post. Might as well find out for your self and get it out of your system.
Yes, what is the poster's name... "Love the Sierra"? Oh, right, but you should try to do it-- get the damn High Sierra out of you system.
Blue lakes; shining mountains, the bedrock granite bones of the Earth, and all that rubbish... just cannot beat nights in an assfault parking lot! :nod:

IMG_0961.JPG

076.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Yes, "get the damn High Sierra out of you system." Good luck with that. It hasn't worked for me. ;-)

Lower Palisade Lake October:

https://youtu.be/BxnBHdXPEAs

Bubbs Creek October:

IMG_0703.jpeg

Near Crabtree meadows SEKI November:

IMG_0675.jpeg

Lyell Creek Yosemite November:

IMG_8863.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Nice photos. guys.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Many, many thanks to all of you.
The long nights didn't even occur to me. I have done enough winter hotel trips to plan for long nights Dec-Feb, but it never occurred to me for October. I have a good winter tent and plenty of warm Nordic ski wear I can bring so cold is not the biggest problem. I always stay glued to the weather reports but also know how inaccurate they are.

Harlen, you are completely correct about dense fog. Hadn't thought of it though we had a fall car camping trip when we were unable to hike in the Sequoia monument due to fog.

Wandering Daisy, yes, I was referring to Kennedy meadows North. I have been to Emigrant and Buck Lakes and they are spectacular! WOW! What a dumbbell I am; I had not even thought about getting stuck because the passes close for winter!

SIGH- So it looks like there is no way of making up the summer I have missed. Other than the horrific years when my daughter had cancer, this is the first time in over 30 years that I have not taken a summer trip.

Anyway, I will take all of your advice and treat it as a spring or winter trip: Base camp with a reasonably easy distance and hike to the TH or and stick to short trips.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

I didn't see the second page of posts...
Harlen and Commonloon, you are corrupting me! :)
Maybe I could go to Little Lakes Valley. Can't get an easier trail than that back to the TH and plenty of passes to climb if weather is gracious and perfect.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Sonora Pass and other high passes will not likely close for the winter in October, BUT they do close for a day or so if there is a snow storm because Fall snow plowing is usually not done- they just wait until it naturally melts. You can go in Kennedy Meadows or Levitt Meadows to avoid getting stuck.
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

OK- Now I am dying! YES_I miss the high Sierra and the granite and the lakes and the moonlight and the silence and the trees and all of it!!!
I reread all of these posts. Thanks again to all of you for the good input. Yes, I have a good, sturdy winter tent. Thanks for the idea of extra batteries and additional headlamp and weather etc.
Wandering Daisy, I assume you mean to AVOID getting stuck.
Forget my ideas. Any and all ideas are welcome, please!!!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Commonloon, Can you tell me where Circle of Solitude and Whaleback are? Not familiar with those at all.
Thanks
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Love the Sierra wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:46 am Commonloon, Can you tell me where Circle of Solitude and Whaleback are? Not familiar with those at all.
Thanks
http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=SEKI+circle+of+solitude

It's actually a pretty sweet trip idea. Most "named hikes" are thru hikes (HST, SHR, JMT, ect.) requiring a heinous car shuttle.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

The Circle of Solitude (CiS) is loop that starts at Road's End in Kings Canyon and goes over the Great Western Divide (GWD) and the Kings/Kern Divide before returning to Road's End. Here is a map (note it has a couple of alternate route segments):

https://caltopo.com/m/G912

The Whaleback is near Coby Pass (GWD). Most do it summer or early fall because it does go high. Note: there is a small lightning fire (Moraine Fire) burning near Avalanche Pass along the CiS route right now.

I'm trying to plan a trip myself for late October or early November. I think anything Sierra, Yosemite south is currently choked with smoke from the Creek and SQF fires. I'm optimistic that the fires/smoke will be getting better around the 3rd week of October.

The Whaleback from Big Wet Meadow:

IMG_0626.jpeg