Show the trash you packed out

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Show the trash you packed out

Post by tomba »

We could also show here the trash we found but not packed out.

Here is what I packed out from Tableland a couple of weeks ago:
2020-06-05-tableland-trash-DSC49670.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Show the trash you packed out

Post by bobby49 »

I pick up mostly lengths of cord and coins. I've also picked up good knives.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

What I pick up more than anything in the back country is tent stakes.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

On our trip last week in Lassen's Juniper Lake area we saw very little trash except for a hair tie and a cell phone tripod. We appropriated both of them...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

A full 4 oz isobutane canister and several miscellaneous pieces of small trash June 19 - June 21 in the Trinity Alps.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

gary c. wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 am What I pick up more than anything in the back country is tent stakes.
Oh yeah, those are mine. #-o
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

SNOOOOW wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:49 pm
gary c. wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 am What I pick up more than anything in the back country is tent stakes.
Oh yeah, those are mine. #-o
:D
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Last Saturday we started a 9-day loop out of Maxson trailhead at Courtright reservoir. Half day in, between the trees, we saw a new large smoke cloud behind us from Creek Fire. Several groups from higher up, with a better view, were hiking out early due to this. We turned back and hiked out the same day.
DSC51412-small.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

Mid August 10 day loop: Quartz Mtn. TH, Merced Pass, Red Peak Pass, then mostly XC: lakes below Grey Peak (S and NE), Red Devil Lake, Merced Peak Fork headwaters, lakes west of Turner Lake, lakes east of Triple Peak Fork, Blue Lake, Rockbound Lake, Pass next to Sadler Peak, McClure Lake, Post Peak Pass, Post Lakes, Slab Lakes, Walton Lake, Three D Divide Pass, Breeze Lake, Chain Lakes.

Probably the most balloons I found on one trip: 5 complete balloons, 2 partial balloons, smaller balloon bits.
DSC51398-small.jpeg
DSC51399-small.jpeg

Also a shoe that I found, carried to the trail and left next to a tree, facing people hiking out. I put a tin can in the shoe that I found in the same place. I still had several days of hiking ahead so I didn't carry the heavy shoe out.
DSC50911-small.jpeg

I also found a flashlight near Chain Lakes. Please let me know if you lost it.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Most of my pickup seems to be fishing line.

I am not entirely unsympathetic. I can see how some it happens, especially short lengths. I dropped a 2" piece of 6x tippet a few weeks ago and could not find it on my hands and knees. I am sure someone will spot it eventually, then curse me for thoughtlessly leaving it...

I have found some nice knives over the years. But I left the used condoms -- I wasn't touching those.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=