i took my new pack of dogs backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

i took my new pack of dogs backpacking

Post by lostcoyote »

first trip - it was great

went up to george lake in the kaiser wilderness over the weekend.
had a surge of tropical moisture come in which kept things warm at night and even got a few sprinkles. the dogs did great :)

here's a slideshow...

click here
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Looks like a trip for the dogs. :nod: They look like they were having a good time, thank you for sharing. I've been dogless for about four years now, miss the company on solo trips. My first bp dogs were dobies and they loved being on the trail. In the morning, if I got close to their packs, they would get up and come over by them. If they were dozing and I whistled lightly, they would perk right up and run over to me. My male loved watching me catch fish and when I hooked one, I had to push him aside so I could release it.
Piece of cake.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

did ya ever feed em a fresh fish?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

My male dobie got the small ones and saved me the trouble of burying the guts/head of the ones for a meal. Crunch, crunch and it was gone. I got mad at him on one trip thinking he had taken my fish that I had left overnight on a stringer, but years later I realized a raccoon or something must have come by, as a rule, when I was raising him, I could put people food on a rock or my knee, he would only look at it until I said ok. Very good dobie. Trained him to retrieve downed quail also during hunting season, wasn't gun shy either.
Piece of cake.
BuckSnort
Topix Acquainted

Re: i took my new pack of dogs backpacking

Post by BuckSnort »

Uncooked fish can be very poisonous to dogs, be careful.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

A couple of months ago, I "inherited" an older labrador retriever. Great dog, very responsive to training. I am looking forward to taking her hiking and fishing this year. It does annoy me that the entire National Park system in California is closed to dogs, but there are plenty of places in the southern Sierra, Golden Trout, John Muir, that are still open to dogs, so it should be good.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Yes, my Annie and I do a "drive thru" of Yosemite every year, and must stick to the crowded paved trails in the valley. If your new dog will get on the ferry, you can do the Saddlebag Lake loop just outside the park. My dog is one of many reasons I chose to live in the eastern sierra.