Resupply on JMT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Resupply on JMT

Post by don norton »

can any one of you fine folks tell me the pros or cons of hiking out from LaConte ranger Station via Bishop Pass trail to resupply other than burning about a day. While I have to hitch hike to Bishop I would imanagine that there is a post office in Bishop :)
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

South Lake Boat Landing, 2100 S Lake Rd, Bishop, CA 93514
(760) 873-4177
2100 S Lake Rd, Bishop, CA 93514

Try them and see if you can mail a cache to them. Might chip in a few $$ for their time.

There are other resorts within about a mile of the South Lake parking lot. They may do similar.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Not an answer to your question, but sounds like you're going back. Good for you. Got a date yet ?
Baffman
Topix Regular

Post by Baffman »

Don,

You're going to lose two days if you go all the way into Bishop. It's about 12.6 miles out to South Lake and it's pretty steep. You'll be in shape though. Are you planning on staying somewhere towards Dusy Basin or down in Le Conte Canyon? Which way are you heading, NoBo or SoBo?

Baff
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by stevet »

Rainbow packers will provide a food drop service. Could mean big $$ if they don't have a trek planned on your need date, but this service will save you time and miles. Steve
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

I've been known to do resupplies for some folks...all depends on where and when...what are your plans?
Phil R
Topix Acquainted

Post by Phil R »

Trailtrekker - You can resupply me anytime!!

The thought of hiking from LeConte to South Lake over Bishop Pass makes me tired!!
People are friendly at 6000 ft...and the higher you go, the friendlier they get.