Granite Dome from Gianelli or Coyote Meadows TH

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Granite Dome from Gianelli or Coyote Meadows TH

Post by BardoPond »

I'm eyeing a short (1 or 2 night) trip to Granite Dome, fires permitting. The idea is to set up camp near a lake and reach the dome with a day hike, since I know it will require some route-finding.

I'm finding the idea of starting from either Gianelli or Coyote Meadows TH due to higher elevation (8500 compared to 6300 at Kennedy Meadows).
Any insight on which of those TH to choose? Main considerations would be water availability and prettiness of the trail. We hiked from Gianelli to Chewing Gum Lake a few years ago, but we've never been to Coyote Meadows.
Since the two trails merge, reaching Granite Dome from either would be equivalent.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Granite Dome from Gianelli or Coyote Meadows TH

Post by wildhiker »

Please note that the Stanislaus National Forest (including the Emigrant Wilderness) is completely closed to all visitors as of 5 pm today, Monday, Sept 7, due to extreme fire danger. See:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=20984

-Phil
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

BardoPond wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:01 pm I'm eyeing a short (1 or 2 night) trip to Granite Dome, fires permitting.
Yeah, spoiler alert: the fires ain't gonna permit for a while.

It's an interesting idea, coming at it from Gianelli. It's shorter, and puts you in better position to hit the easiest route up the SW side of Granite Dome. However, I thought the lakes on the NW side of the dome were half the appeal. And I didn't think the peak took much route finding. I was looking for class 3 rock to climb, and there wasn't much. So yeah, the route is easier, but less scenic.

I'd aim for something really late season (a week or two after the first snow of the fall has melted off), or spring of next year. It can be a dusty horse & cow pasture in August & September.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

We've hiked into that area from Kennedy Meadowes, and at C9h says, the really nice parts are the lakes below the dome. We've also hiked out of Gianelli a few times...not sure it is shorter, but yet, less total elevation gain--although you do go up and down a few ridges to get there.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
BardoPond
Topix Acquainted

Post by BardoPond »

Got it, I'll consider the standard route from Kennedy Meadows then. I suppose one could also start from Gianelli and still visit those lakes.

Too bad about the closure. Let's see how the situation develops, but looks like we'll have to wait a while.
sloflier
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by sloflier »

Gianelli is a great place to start. We like camping at the upper Pinto Lake...in the saddle there. It's a quick and easy summit to Granite Dome from the Pinot Lakes side. Keep in mind that you're cross country from the trail up to Pinto.
levi
Topix Acquainted

Post by levi »

The approach from Gianelli is not shorter than the approach from KM, though I wonder if it's less crowded. I've done both. I think the routefinding and very easy scrambling up to Granite Dome from Summit Creek is more interesting than from Salt Lick Meadow. Plus the lakes north of Granite Dome are spectacular, I wouldn't want to miss them if I'm bothering to bag Granite.