Minaret Lake Loop (Clockwise)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cbrua
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Minaret Lake Loop (Clockwise)

Post by cbrua »

Hi all, first time on this super cool forum! Wanted to see if anyone had recently done the Minaret Lake Loop and had any info on conditions. Me and a buddy are planning to do the loop on September 7-9, leaving from Postpile to Minaret Lake where we plan to make camp, moving to Cecile, Iceberg, Ediza, and Shadow before returning by the JMT. Can’t wait!

Firstly, does anyone know how the use trail from minaret lake to Cecile is this year, we have done our research on google earth and have our route planned but a use trail is always nice.

Secondly, does anyone know the condition of the Cecile-Iceberg descent? I’m aware this is considered the most treacherous pass, but I’m hoping that late season the snow will be gone and it will be doable without extra gear, but would be great if someone’s done it recently.

Lastly, we are planning to sleep 1 night at minaret lake, and the second either at Ediza or Shadow to try to make good time on our last day back. I’ve heard that Ediza is truly a cant miss, obviously we will be there, but could anyone advise on camping Ediza vs Shadow Lake?

We are super excited, have our permit and of course will follow LNT. Thanks in advance for any advice/info!
cbrua
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Minaret Lake Loop (Clockwise)

Post by cbrua »

Not sure if this technically violates the conditions info, we have weather forecasts and all just looking for some general info. Sorry if it did :paranoid:
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Good questions to be asking. I do not have recent intel on the route. However, I would be shocked if there was any snow left between Cecile and Iceberg this late in a very dry year. My educated guess is that it will be nothing more than a steep scramble at the top followed by the long traverse across the scree field. I include a picture of the route from another dry year in July 2014:
IMGP3865.jpg
Be aware that there is NO camping at Shadow Lake. It has been closed to camping for years. Nor are you supposed to camp between the trail and the stream above it. There are some places you can camp north of the trail.

Ediza also has camping restrictions due to overuse. Camp on the western or southern sides but not the eastern side. I see people violating these restrictions, though, on almost every trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

The use trail should be fine, just don't missed it, it will be on your right, heading north, a steep switch back up to were that small pond is, east of Cecile. Take a break at the pond and follow the outlet tthru the bushes to a perch with great views of the Minaret Lakes below and beyond. :nod:

The section skirting Iceberg Lake to its northern end will be similar to the picture kpeter posted.
Don't worry about following the ducks, there are numerous ones in that scree field, so pick your easiest route and stick with it.

As mention, there is no camping at Shadow Lake, but Ediza is one of the premier lakes in the Sierra, and is well worth spending the night.
It is not a long trail to the trailhead, it takes me a little over 2 hrs from Agnew Meadows to Ediza, and that's was going up. :)
http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 17&t=15386
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Nydiver is also a worthy stop. Similar views of the Minarets as Ediza, but Banner & Ritter are more visible.

The use trails from the NW side of Ediza that go up to Ritter lead to more good camp spots. Ediza can get kinda crowded.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

I just did this a couple of weeks ago, and there is no issue with use trails at all getting around the lakes.
I posted a TR..some pictures of the area in general, but snow is not an issue at all.