What Laughable Thing is, or was, in Your Pack?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What Laughable Thing is, or was, in Your Pack?

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I don't know that it is laughable, but ...

I typically go solo, including my first backpacking trip. My wife was very afraid for my safety being out there alone and insisted I bring protection (at least she considered people more of a threat than wild animals). Anyway, she insisted I take a gun, or I wasn't allowed to go. I brought along a .45 semi-auto with 2 full clips. I "forgot" to bring it on my 2nd hike. Now my wife has grown to accept my hikes to the point that she wasn't even concerned when I failed to call her from Edison Lake last year like I told her I would. I ended up hiking my rear off to get to Bishop as fast as possible, concerned about how worried she must be. When I called her 3 days early, she was shocked. I explained why, and she said, I wasn't worried, I just thought you had no cell reception (which was the case). I'm not sure what to make of her new found lack of concern.
Last edited by Lumbergh21 on Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I have a couple of theories..

One, she trusts you know what you're doing.

You wouldn't like the last one.

I only carry weapons when hunting. White gas and a match work well as a weapon.
creekfeet
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by creekfeet »

Earlier this summer I went full Norman Clyde with my pack on a trip on the Lakes Trail. I was taking my seven year old daughter on her first backpacking trip, so in edition to all her gear I took some stuffed animals, toys, art supplies, etc. This would've been fine, but we were also going to stay with my friend stationed at the Pear Lake cabin, and I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring him some beer and bacon. So I loaded my pack with two pounds of bacon and twenty beers. My reluctant wife took four more. My pack was so heavy that about five minutes into the hike the nerves in my shoulders were getting pinched and my arms were going numb, so I began chugging beers to lighten the load. By the time we got to the cabin, I'd had eight of them. Anyhow, my friend already had a ton of booze out there, but was very grateful for the bacon, since apparently most people that visit him only bring fresh produce.
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

My wife and I visited a friend in Alaska and worked in some backpacking, first on the Kesugi Ridge where we spent the night before we started in a rustic cabin that was close to the trailhead, and after that we spent 4 nights in Denali. When we were setting up camp in Denali I was shocked to find my Tempurpedic pillow that I had used in the cabin (it was a short walk to the car) that had somehow found its way into my pack. That was 2 lbs that I wasn't counting on. As someone who counts every ounce, I remember being chagrined that I had somehow let that pillow find it's way into my pack. But, I slept way better than I normally do when backpacking. So, on my next trip to the Sierra I brought that pillow with me :D Going forward, that isn't something I plan on doing for more challenging trips, but on quicker trips I will error on the side of comfort.
-------------
Dave | flickr
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Lumbergh21 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:49 pm I don't know that it is laughable, but ...

I typically go solo, including my first backpacking trip. My wife was very afraid for my safety being out there alone and insisted I bring protection (at least she considered people more of a threat than wild animals). Anyway, she insisted I take a gun, or I wasn't allowed to go. I brought along a .45 semi-auto with 2 full clips. I "forgot" to bring it on my 2nd hike. Now my wife has grown to accept my hikes to the point that she wasn't even concerned when I failed to call her from Edison Lake last year like I told her I would. I ended up hiking my rear off to get to Bishop as fast as possible, concerned about how worried she must be. When I called her 3 days early, she was shocked. I explained why, and she said, I wasn't worried, I just thought you had no cell reception (which was the case). I'm not sure what to make of her new found lack of concern.
I used to carry a pistol and sometimes an extra mag in my pack too, stopped that years ago.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

creekfeet writes:
... and I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring him some beer and bacon. So I loaded my pack with two pounds of bacon and twenty beers. My reluctant wife took four more. My pack was so heavy that about five minutes into the hike the nerves in my shoulders were getting pinched and my arms were going numb, so I began chugging beers to lighten the load. By the time we got to the cabin, I'd had eight of them.
Man, does that ever count as outrageous, and funny behavior! What a nice gesture indeed, but now you will have mckee80, and his friends following you through the Sierra :nod:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Green propane tank and a single burner propane stove (cut down to weigh 8-9 oz). My remote titanium stove and a 4oz fuel canister weigh what that modified stove did.

Took some guys into Summit Lake out of Springville. They brought a big bottle of whisky, a video recorder and 2 person inflatable boat. Boat was cool to float. Bonus: they got video of a bear running up the trail away from us.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

A barn door tracker I made out of an 8" steel gate hinge.
IMG_0077.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert

Post by robertseeburger »

I had meant to reply to this post but I forgot..( hey..my excuse primarily was... I was backpacking!). But the vice presidential debate reminded me to do a post here.

Another crazy item taken backpacking was a item my dad took, years ago. He took a plastic fly swatter. (For those that didnt watch the debate..there were 2 minutes of a black fly on Pence's white hair.). At a rest stop, he would pull out his swatter, and he was actually more effective with flies and mosquitoes than me or my brother. And it didnt weigh much either.

I remember my brother and I trailing him by a few yards on the trail and a couple of guys approached talking with animation. We heard "that guy had a flyswatter!!". My brother and I laughed hard. I still remember the exact spot where this occurred.. ( Lyell Canyon).