California Fires?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
oldraven
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

California Fires?

Post by oldraven »

:(
We are hoping the fires there are finally getting handled.
Some support from your Northern neighbour.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I can't even imagine the horror going on there. The majority of my family still lives in SoCal.... my youngest sister and her husband, one of my brothers and his wife, and a neice and nephew with their respective families have all been evacuated from their homes - they don't know yet what the status on their homes are yet. A few more of my brothers and sisters are still on "alert".

My sister, who was evacuated early Monday morning, had only enough time to gather their cat, necessary papers, and a small travel bag. Fortunately, all of my displaced family has been able to stay with other family members.

The only bright light in this horror are the reports on how the communities, near and afar, have gathered together to help one another. My heart goes out to all those who've lost their homes. And the firefighters.... they are truly heros.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: California Fires?

Post by The Other Tom »

oldraven wrote::(
+1 from your eastern neighbors...
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: California Fires?

Post by BSquared »

The Other Tom wrote:
oldraven wrote::(
+1 from your eastern neighbors...
+ another form another eastern neighbor. I happened to be in Canberra, Australia, during the January 2003 fires, and it was absolutely terrifying, even though we were (probably) in no direct danger. My heart goes out to all of you in Southern California.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

thoughts and prayers to everyone in the southern California area - at least the winds have finally died down and the humidity level is coming up - good news for firefighters.

I also here at least one of the recent fires in Arrowhead was deliberately set - they supposedly arrested someone in regards to this. too bad we cannot serve justice as in the old west days.

I hope your family is well Rosabella. I am still waiting to hear how my Fallbrook family farred through the fires. some of our own board members inc TT have been displaced by fires in San Diego area - they seem to be the hardest hit.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Old Raven, we were in Canada when you had the biggest fire in Canadian history. We had to alter our plans. Scary!

My sister is in Canyon Country, and my brother is at Stevenson Ranch. She's ok, still waiting to hear from him.

Trailtrekker, hang in there!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I haven't heard from Sequoia for a couple days now, she was doing ok.

I hope the other members of our forum are all ok.

Smoke in northern Nevada now with the shift of winds.
Piece of cake.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Thanks for the thoughts. Everything is okay here, back home and safe. Immediate neighborhood is okay. I was lucky, but some were not, it is really incredibly sad. There is really no rhyme or reason to the way fire can leave one house standing and the one right next to it burned to the ground. My heart goes out to all those folks that lost their homes. The positive attitudes I've seen on the news are truly amazing. Homes consumed to the east, west and north of me. If the wind had been blowing south , who knows? Puts a different perspective on "stuff" and what's really important (family, loved ones). I guess not really a "different" perspective, just clarifies reality, ya know?