The Keyhole southern approach

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

The Keyhole southern approach

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Heading toward the Keyhole from Darwin Bench, I attempted to pass Lake 11540 on its east side, but I encountered a snowfield that was steeper than my gumption could tolerate, so I turned back. I didn't attempt passing the western side of the lake because it looked like a talus slog that steeply sloped to the water. But I'm curious - have any of you passed the lake on its west? Is that the best way?
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Re: The Keyhole southern approach

Post by Bishop_Bob »

another reason I ask is that it was such a dry winter, I wonder if that snowfield would be there anyway and there was a way to pass it that I didn't realize
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I crossed on the east side in July 2014 (also a low snow year) headed to Alpine Col. I don't recall any significant snow on that side. We did climb up and down a few ramps as we made our way to the isthmus between lakes 11540 and 11546. I'd bet you'll be ok on the east side this year.

TR: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11446&p=86400
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Well, I've mulled over for this some time and realized that Roper indirectly says to pass Lake 11540 on its east side bceause he says to pass between this lake and the adjacent Lake 11546. I'm simultaneously ashamed and proud that I finally made this literary interpretation. :o :nod: