TR Seki 6-18-20 to 6-29-20

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR Seki 6-18-20 to 6-29-20

Post by Harlen »

Goddamn boot soles!! I will never suffer that same fate twice; soon as they fail, it's time for the gorilla glue / deck screw treatment. So tell Gary, he just needs to add a battery drill, tube of glue, and a handful of deck screws to his fixit kit. [*Forgot the grinder to level the screws, unless you think they'd provide traction as is?]

boots (9).JPG

Great perseverance, and we're sure Gary is very glad he toughed it out-- NICE FISH!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
canukyea
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by canukyea »

Biggest fish for Gary and me on this trip was 16 inches.. not monsters by any means.. but lots of fun.
Right on! 16 inches is definitely up there when you're talking about backcountry goldens. An epic trip for sure
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Robert,
I can only second/third the rest of the comments here; truly a great time of year to be in that part of the Sierra! And, frankly, the best part of the boot issue is that it happened early, rather than halfway through. Kudos to Gary for the perseverance! And, keep up the inspiring reports, but maybe take a pass on the earthquake next time? Thanks,
Cameron
Dwwd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Dwwd »

Bob, excellent TR. Keeping in contact for the repaired boot rendezvous with the Delorme InReach devices was a good plan. No doubt both of you are seasoned backpackers to go it on your own, but having a plan for accommodating potential future changes is a very good wilderness process.

Beyond all the other great comments, I especially liked the photo of you sneaking along the rock cliff with a fishing rod just before the snow bank. Was there a photo of you glissading down it back to the shore? If the stop at the end is known, a priori, to be under control, shallow slopes etc, glissading can be entertaining. The snow looks like it might have been soft.

Thanks for the at home entertainment.