Extra day activity on Lyell Vogelsang loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sizarah
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Extra day activity on Lyell Vogelsang loop

Post by sizarah »

I'm planning to do the Lyell-Vogelsang loop over Labor Day weekend and have permits for the clockwise direction. I'm looking to spend one extra "zero day" in the are and would love suggestions. Could spend two nights at the Lyell canyon / Ireland creek intersection and spend the extra day hiking further up Lyell Canyon towards Donahue pass? Or spend the extra night around Vogelsang area (not sure where we'll camp there yet, Boothe?) and climb up to Vogelsang pass, or maybe is there a non-technical peak in the area?

We'll be two couples, all level 2 backpackers, and the other couple has never been to Yosemite, so looking to show them some stunning scenery without working them TOO hard haha.

All advice appreciated!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Extra day activity on Lyell Vogelsang loop

Post by bobby49 »

Where you go might depend on the wildflower season. By this Labor Day, things are likely to be completely dried out.

Going farther up Lyell Canyon can be good, but you would need to go a long way to get to Donahue Pass and back. Spending a night around Vogelsang can be good, if there aren't lots of people. If the High Sierra Camp is closed, then that cuts out half of the people. Taking the hike up to Vogelsang Pass can be good fun, and not terribly strenuous. There is a view from the pass, or from Vogelsang Peak.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Taking them up the Ireland Creek trail could be working them hard! It gains about 1700 feet in about 3 miles from the JMT up to the pass heading over to Evelyn Lake. It seems like an unrelenting uphill while you are doing it.

Ireland Lake is a little more than a mile on a side trail that passes through open meadows with views and I think the lake is pretty interesting itself.

Vogelsang Lake and Pass are definitely worthwhile. And the High Sierra Camp is closed this year so that area will be quieter.

-Phil
bwd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bwd »

We did a loop around Vogelsang around July 4th. I didn't see much (well, any) of Lyell but from the Vogelsang HSC the trip to Bernice Lake might make for a nice day hike. I preferred the scenery on that side to the drier scenery closer to Lyell.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

You could always hike from Tuolumne Pass near Vogelsang to climb Rafferty Peak, or explore some of the lakes around there: Bernice would be a lovely day hike, or, if you are comfortable with XC, Reymann.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
GGC23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by GGC23 »

Vogelsang Peak is a great option if you're already up in the Vogelsang Lake area. There is a pretty clear use trail taking you up the northeast-facing gully / flank of the peak. You then curve around to the right to climb the sandy, low angle, south-facing top part of the peak. It's all class 1/2 until the very final move or two on to the summit, where I found multiple class 3 options but plenty of ways to keep things at class 2 if you're willing to poke around a bit. The views from the top are amazing -- 360 degree views stretching from the Valley to the Hoover Wilderness.
sizarah
Topix Novice

Post by sizarah »

Thanks everyone! Sounds like two nights in the Vogelsang area is the way to go for sure, with the most options around there, and trending towards a Vogelsang Pass/Bernice Lake jaunt.
sizarah
Topix Novice

Post by sizarah »

balzaccom wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:52 am You could always hike from Tuolumne Pass near Vogelsang to climb Rafferty Peak, or explore some of the lakes around there: Bernice would be a lovely day hike, or, if you are comfortable with XC, Reymann.
Still haven't done any serious XC but will add this to my tentative list to try as well!
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I also recommend the day-hike over Vogelsang Pass to Bernice. The Lewis Creek valley below Vogelsang Pass is lovely that time of year. I do not recommend camping at Booth since it’s down low with no views. The campsites at the north end of Vogelsang Lake have spectacular views of the Sierra Crest to the east and the valley below. Since the High Sierra Camp is closed, even Fletcher Lake would be okay. And if you’re feeling more adventurous, Townsley Lake above Fletcher can provide a bit more privacy than Vogelsang and Fletcher Lakes.

One thing to be aware of is that it can get quite cold at night there in September (I've seen Fletcher Lake freeze overnight that time of year).
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
sizarah
Topix Novice

Post by sizarah »

LMBSGV wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:15 pm I also recommend the day-hike over Vogelsang Pass to Bernice. The Lewis Creek valley below Vogelsang Pass is lovely that time of year. I do not recommend camping at Booth since it’s down low with no views. The campsites at the north end of Vogelsang Lake have spectacular views of the Sierra Crest to the east and the valley below. Since the High Sierra Camp is closed, even Fletcher Lake would be okay. And if you’re feeling more adventurous, Townsley Lake above Fletcher can provide a bit more privacy than Vogelsang and Fletcher Lakes.

One thing to be aware of is that it can get quite cold at night there in September (I've seen Fletcher Lake freeze overnight that time of year).
I was actually thinking of Booth since I thought it would be a little more protected/private and less windy and cold as one of the open lakes like Vogelsang. But you do make a compelling argument for spectacular views haha.