TR Seki 6-18-20 to 6-29-20

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR Seki 6-18-20 to 6-29-20

Post by Jason »

That looks like an amazing trip, and to be there during an earthquake must have been incredible. The photo of trout pond 2 looks like a fish hatchery! Cool photo of the fish eggs too. Thanks for the great report!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Another awesome TR! My favorite pic is the absolute red meat golden trout in foil.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Now that is a proper epic in all respects, whether it was the fishing, dealing with the boot delamination or the very rare but frightening experience of being up during an earthquake strong enough to trigger rockfall. That is the most unique photo of all. Crazy. Gary's boot thing is so unfortunate because neither the boot nor the sole look that old and worn. Until about 25 or 30 years ago I never saw this delamination (ie sole would simply wear out) but whatever changes they've made in hiking boot soles the last decades have made this phenomenon rather common. It has certainly happened to me and my family members.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

Wow, Wow and wow. Great trip off to a rocky start; but well made decisions prevailed. Glad the new boots did the trick and fit; lot's of possible what iff's there. Hard work prevails. Those trout ponds are awesome. Never seen anything like it. What a trip. Well done!
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

What a great trip. I had that happen to one of my boots in the early 80s on my first trip into the Sierra, at the Roaring River Ranger station. Luckily, I had some bailing wire and was able to cobble (no pun intended) them together, and they were fine all the way to Road's End.
canukyea
Topix Regular

Post by canukyea »

Quite a terrifying and unique shot of rockfall and dust, glad to hear that no harm was done by the earthquake. How big was that one golden? It looks like it ate well!
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Beautiful fish and interesting scenery! Thanks for posting.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

With the up and downs a 5000 foot first day. Thanks for not id'ing those lakes. Haven't been to some of them but were able to figure out most from the background mountains. That trout spawning mass is more than I've ever witnessed. For those trout fans that are not web savvy, if you click on Robert's image it will magnify so one can better see the fish.
fish4gold
Topix Regular

Post by fish4gold »

Wowie! What an awesome trip! The Rock slides triggered by an earthquake sent shivers up my spine. That is something I have never considered happening. So will store that in the old data bank. Set up camp only where it’s safe. The fish are stunning! Thank you for sharing!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

Answering Canukyea..

Biggest fish for Gary and me on this trip was 16 inches.. not monsters by any means.. but lots of fun.