TR Sabrina Basin 06/26-06/28

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lhaze94
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR Sabrina Basin 06/26-06/28

Post by lhaze94 »

Day 1: This was our first time entering the Sabrina Basin so we were excited for new explorations! We arrived at the trailhead around 0930 to drop packs and park the car at the overnight parking (about a ½ mile down the road). Once on the way, we began the steady ascent up the trail. We reached Blue Lake in about an hour and 45 minutes after leaving the car and stopped for a quick snack break. We pushed on past Dingleberry Lake and the beautiful (and wide) creek crossing just beyond. At this point, the mosquitoes were definitely biting, which gave us good incentive to keep pushing on to higher elevations. Shortly after passing Dingleberry Lake there is a turn off to Midnight Lake—we went left toward Hungry Packer. There is a great deal of camping in the granite-filled meadow basin surrounding Sailor Lake and also near Moonlight Falls (very prominent waterfall that can be seen from the trail as you enter the large basin below Hungry Packer). Having heard there is sparse camping at HP, we decided to push on to Moonlight Lake. We found a great campsite at the NE end of Moonlight Lake (cross outlet stream) that easily accommodated our 3 tents.
There was also a fun jump rock not far from our campsite!

Unfortunately, the mosquitoes remained quite bad all the way to Moonlight. We used quite a bit of DEET and head nets and still walked away with a LOT of bites. If you are entering this area for at least the next month, be prepared for a lot of mosquitoes.

Day 2: We day hiked over to Hungry Packer Lake and then on to Midnight Lake. Both are very beautiful…you really can’t go wrong with choosing a lake to camp at in this basin.

At Midnight Lake, we attempted to scramble up to Blue Heaven Lake by climbing along the hillside to the NW of Midnight Lake. We reached about 150 vertical feet above the small meadow between Midnight and Blue Heaven when we decided to turn back due to building thunderheads. Still a beautiful view from where we ascended!

Day 3: Our second night at camp was extremely windy. Fortunately, this drove away the mosquitoes but made for a very restless and cold night of sleep. We packed up camp early and headed back to the car in about 3.5 hours. Lunch at Jack’s in Bishop featuring chocolate milkshakes!

PS. There may or may not be a frisbee at the bottom of Moonlight Lake about 20 feet out from the NE shore near this campground. If anyone ever finds it, it's yours!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
notis
Topix Regular

Re: TR Sabrina Basin 06/26-06/28

Post by notis »

Fun! Side note: how do you get your pics small enough to upload directly here? I've looked into this but the solutions seemed complicated.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Great pics, great basin to explore, looked like lots of fun (except gor the skeeters). Thanks for sharing
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Thanks for the report; yes, Sabrina basin is wonderful even without bugs. And, how chilly was the water?
CG
lhaze94
Topix Newbie

Post by lhaze94 »

notis wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:40 pm Fun! Side note: how do you get your pics small enough to upload directly here? I've looked into this but the solutions seemed complicated.
Yes it did throw me for a loop at first. All of my photos are RAW size in Lightroom, but I was able to email each one to myself, which shrunk the image down enough to post it on here. Hope that helps!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Thanks for the report and pictures. I just love that basin. I don't think that I could do much diving into the lakes this early in the year though.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray