Red Mountain Basin - Fleming Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Red Mountain Basin - Fleming Creek

Post by westmatt »

Hello all -

I have a trip lined up in late August, leaving from Maxon and spending a week in the RMB - can anyone speak to water availability at Fleming Creek in late summer?

thanks,
-Matt
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Re: Red Mountain Basin - Fleming Creek

Post by tlsharb »

I've been there in drought years, and it has always had a decent flow. I'm assuming you are talking about where the trail intersect s the creek near Fleming lake.
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by kursavwilage »

I camped at Fleming lake in August of 2016 , a drought year, and we used the creek for our water source. It wasn't roaring, but there was plenty of water...
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Apologies, I should have framed my question better...

I don't want to try to make it all the way to DIsappointment Lake the first day, and Post Corral isn't far enough. I was hoping to camp somewhere in between, so I'm just looking for a water source along the HFS trail, and my map shows another 'Fleming Creek' which doesn't appear to originate at Fleming Lake, and which is a little lower and to the west from Fleming Lake.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

Matt -
I had a similar question in my RMB thread:
viewtopic.php?t=20472
(see Sekihiker’s response on page 1)

After I return from my early July trip, I will try to post a reply with some updated conditions info
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Grampy -

The Identical question! Missed it despite my search.

Will look forward to your report - thank you, and have a great time!
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

westmatt...Did that trail in late August 2018 (not a big rain year that prior winter) and a few comments as had a similar situation:

~ (Aug. 19th.) From Maxson (late afternoon arrival - heavy packs - first day "altitude" a bit heavy too) we made it to Hobler for night one. Late start for day 2 so was aiming for Fleming Lake as it was the clearest water source for an overnight stop on way to Hell For Sure etc. However, my notes say: No campsites, weed and mud edges = Nope! So we carried on to Rae Lake for the night as too pooped to go further. Numerous campsites there and good access to water at lake edges.
~ There was plenty of water in the upper part of Fleming Creek where the path to Hell For Sure crosses it, but not sure how much lower down or at that smaller cross creek you refer to just above those supposed small ponds about half way up from Post Corral Meadow. I do not remember crossing any creeks with water lower down there.
~ On the return (Aug. 27th.) we came down via Devil's Punchbowl Lake, down to the Kings River and on to Post Corral Meadow heading towards Maxson trail-head. We did not find any water in the upper portions of Post Corral Creek once a little ways west of the Fleming Lake/Rae Lake trail turnoff. I remember well, as we were dry and tired after coming from Hell for Sure...so had to loop off to Hobler to get some water.

If you are considering an overnight stay with water along the main trail in upper Post Corral Meadow or lower portions of the Fleming Lake/Rae Lake trail, it could be iffy, as we only had 1/3 our normal rainfall here in northern CA this past winter though I think the southern Sierra's got a bit more. So you may consider having to go all the way to Rae Lake like we did for a decent spot + water.

Happy trails ~ Michaelzim
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Thanks MIchaelzim! I appreciate your notes!