Round and round the Ritter Range

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Ive also had problems with the pic's, it was okay when you first had them
posted, but now I cannot get past the second page.

Q:Im going back to my Montrail Hardrocks for summer useage I just
cannot get used to mid or high-top boots, Ill use these boots I have now
for spring and winter-fall trips only.
I just like the way my feet feel at the end of a long day in my trail runners.
The only problem is that I have to buy a new pair for each trip and that
gets rather expensive. Last year I went thru 2 Hardrocks and a Comp
(which are mids)costing over $300 in shoes alone!
Oh by the way, you would never find me with a gps either, Ive never used my compass either, its never been out of my pack.
All I need is my map, I've been told that I have a uncanny sense of
direction and route finding, whatever, all I know is I try to become one
with the land and use these so called ablities to travel.
So far its worked.
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

That's funny about the website, but Webshots definitely has its frustrating aspects. Try accessing my home page: http://community.webshots.com/user/quentincompsen and see if it works that way (the Ritter Range album is the top one on the left).

I too love my Montrail Hardrocks. I used them on a trip to Mallory, but the backpacking was all on a fairly easy trail (Mesyan Lake). I'd be a little nervous about my ankles on rough off-trail terrain with a heavy pack. $300 a summer on boots is a lot to shell out!

I've also never used a compass. Unfortunately, though, the only thing uncanny about my route finding is that I tend to pick the hardest route possible.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Quentin,
Thanks for the heads up on the boots. Second, even with your webpage link, I cannot access the photos; I get the link and it loads about 40-50% and then stalls (for as long as I've left it), so I suspect that there is something about my server that does not like webshots (I've had this problem with other folks here who link to webshots, so it's not just your address). Regardless, I finally sat down and posted shots of the trip my wife and I made earlier this year that renewed our enthusiasm for Blue Lake and beyond; I suspect there is some overlap with your photos, but I tried to ease off on shots from the area where we followed the same path that you did. Anyway, for those of us who cannnot get to your photos, it'd be great if you could embed a few??? Maybe??

As for hunters: 2 of the 3 encounters I've had with heavily armed folks have been on the Minaret Lake trail and the other near Agnew meadow. Something about that area seems to bring them out....
cgundersen
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Beautiful pictures Larry! What a nice route it looks like you took.
really stunning part of the Sierra. :)
How did you dislocate your shoulder? And how is it now? Gosh so sorry that happen
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

You could get shot!

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

cgundersen wrote:As for hunters: 2 of the 3 encounters I've had with heavily armed folks have been on the Minaret Lake trail and the other near Agnew meadow.
You see them in wilderness areas. You learn never to do this during hunting season, and only do this at home: put your open hands up facing forward, put your thumbs to your temples, and splay your fingers.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

madeintahoe wrote:Beautiful pictures Larry! What a nice route it looks like you took.
really stunning part of the Sierra. :)
How did you dislocate your shoulder? And how is it now? Gosh so sorry that happen
Thanks Anita.
Well, it's a long story (mainly because of all of my excuses!), but the upshot (or downshot) is that I slipped on a really easy rock and the weight of my backpack drove my left shoulder hard into the ground. I've seen two orthopedists so far, and one suggested it might get better with a cortisone shot but it hasn't. So now, at his recommendation, I'm off to a 3rd orthopedist, who is supposedly one of the premier labral tear repair surgeons. I'm really dreading the recovery process from surgery, but it looks inevitable.