Miter basin conditions?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
gosia2000
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Miter basin conditions?

Post by gosia2000 »

Hi all, I'm a newcomer here!

On Monday I'm heading to Cottonwood pass/Trial pass and beyond for 4-5 days of backpacking. I am curious about conditions in Miter basin, more specifically area from Soldier Lake to Blue Sky Lake. I would like to know if the ground is typically "just wet" this time of the year or shall I expect more of the "wading in the trail" conditions. Anyone been around the area?

Also- any advise regarding best approach to Blue Sky Lake also welcomed. Seems like most people recommend going along Rock Creek? With a rather dry winter can I expect a reasonably easy crossing?
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Miter basin conditions?

Post by notis »

Hey, welcome! Check out my recent reports in the Conditions Reports threads (one on backcountry conditions; one on water crossing). The specific area you speak of was totally fine.

Approach: there are use trails running up from Soldier Lake to access Miter Basin. Once at the top of the use trail through the squeeze (near foxtail pines leaned in an X shape), pick your way to Sky Blue Lake.
gosia2000
Topix Novice

Post by gosia2000 »

Hi! Thanks, I see I need to learn how to find info on the forum ;) Thanks for pointing me in a right direction!

Since I have your attention... Any good spots to camp in the area north of Siberian Pass other than by one of the Soldier Lakes? I like solitude and seems like the lakes my be crowded. Thanks!
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

:bear:
gosia2000 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:43 am Hi! Thanks, I see I need to learn how to find info on the forum ;)
If you use the forum search tool, be sure to add a “+” between terms for a more selective search; e.g. search for Miter+Basin ; if you search Miter Basin, you’ll get results for EVERY post that has the word “Basin” in it. Also, the tool does not recognize quotation marks as a discriminator in your search.
As an alternative strategy, I often open up a separate browser window and search “outside” the forum (in Google or whatever) and search with quotes ... for example “HST” “Miter Basin” “route” ... to yield more selective search results.
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by notis »

grampy wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:27 pm As an alternative strategy, I often open up a separate browser window and search “outside” the forum (in Google or whatever) and search with quotes ... for example “HST” “Miter Basin” “route” ... to yield more selective search results.
Exactly. I do this on Google by typing "site:highsierratopix.com" and then my search term(s), and it will only yield info from that site you specify.

@gosia2000 , no problem! The folks here are very helpful. North of Siberian Pass (assuming you mean on the Siberian Pass Trail), there are some nice camping spots. I just spent a night in one myself! Right at the junction of Siberian Pass Tr and NAP Tr, there's a ton of nice, flat, wooded campsites near (but not too near) water. I've never camped around Soldier Lake but there are lots of spots that I'm imaging you could find solitude (e.g., there's some ledges on the E side before the lake). Aside from that, if you're headed from there to Sky Blue Lake, there's some faintly wooded spots at the end of the basin you might be able to find refuge from the wind (and cold sink) in.
gosia2000
Topix Novice

Post by gosia2000 »

Thanks grampy and notis! Love the hints, you guys are awesome!!