Photo Sales Question?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Having to log in every time is getting to be really fun.
Anyways I have to agree with Buck that disclosing everything about
ones picture should not be taken to the extreme.
For example the GND filter is helping the cameras short comings/abilities in capturing the photo that we realistically see.
Our eyes are many times more sensetive to colors and light than our
cameras/lenses will ever be, and we need ISO, Blending, Layering ..,ect, to be able to get at least close to what we see.
I agree Dave that some discloser would be good in some cases, but who's going to enforce/regulate what needs to be disclosed and what doesnt need to be?
Its kind of like the steroid issue in sports, some gain the advantage
by manipulation others lose out because they don't take advantage of it.
How many times have any of youve been asked by a customer what
ISO you used, whether you used a GND filter or did you manipulate
your picture in any way?
If they did, they where dabbling in photography themselves or trying to impress you with there knowledge.
Of coarse if the customer asked any of the above questions I would
answer all of them truthfully, Im not trying to manipulate the customer
only the photo's!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

maverick wrote:Having to log in every time is getting to be really fun.
If you're talking about HST, sorry about that. I had to disable the auto login feature for a bit so that the cookies refresh in people's browsers. Because of a database issue that affected the sessions table, some people who had auto login activated were receiving an error message and were not able to access the forums. I'll reactivate the option in a few days.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Eric. HST administrators rule!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Buck, I think there is a considerable gray area of what information a considerate photographer might provide. I wasn't making a list of things a photographer ought to provide to their audience but rather merely giving hypothetical examples for the sake of my post of what they might choose to. There is certainly not any consensus and in fact the current status quo has been not to provide any information. Thus if a photographer bothers to say ANYTHING however small about what they are doing, it gets my vote of appreciation because there are some in our ranks that see any shift towards any disclosures a threat to their own dark game. Recently in one forum I frequent someone took my advice only to get a couple of quick responses making fun of the fact he disclosed cloning out some distracting branches. See such attitudes are a threat to those that like things just as they are with anything goes.

I find total non-disclosure to be a problem because it undermines public trust in landscape and nature photography work. Thus my usual two cents that photographers ought to step up and go some extra distance for the sake of our community of photographers. There are some things you, I, and a consensus of photographers would agree with that ought to be disclosed like actually adding or removing graphic objects not in a scene. However there are some that won't even do that. Of course it is elementary to add nifty clouds, color, animals, or other elements to a scene for anyone with good Photoshop skills. One problem has always been that those without such skills, which in the past has been the majority of photographers, often had little understanding of what a graphic arts pro can do with Photoshop so thought in small terms of these issues. That has rapidly been changing of late of course with the avalanche of digital cameras in ordinary folks hands and accompanying proliferation of processing software. One can guarantee some will go that route to create images at least for those in business of selling prints because of the obvious corruptions for the sake of money. ...David
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

By the way Dave how did you eastern Sierra(fall foliage) trip turn out?
I planned a quick trip up last Sat, but after the storm came in on Friday I changed my mind, and after reading the calphoto site Im glad I did.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hola, Dave! I agree 100% with what you said. I've always found "how" someone got a particular photo interesting, and what they used, etc. Not because of disclosure requirements or distrust, but more so simply out of curiousity. Some photogs don't think any of that matters or is anyone's business, but I always like the see the decisions made, and equipment used, for a particular image. On my Flickr site I always add the camera used, film, filters, etc., always have, mostly because I know there's folks like me who are simply curious. I'm also open with where an image was taken specifically. In fact most of my photo "titles" are boring descriptions of where and when the image was taken... Eagle Falls Evening... Eagle Falls Morning... McWay Falls Afternoon... Pioner Basin Evening... Minaret Morning... ha ha! I'm so creative. :D

P.S. I too am curious about your fall shoot. I'm stuck here in Delaware for 2 weeks of work related training and I'm missing the peak aspen colors. Just because I'm not able to be there, I hope it SUCKS this year.. ha ha! KEEEEDING. I hope there are some great displays and you photogs are able to come back with the best Fall shots you've taken to date. I'll enjoy them from way back here.
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Buck

You mean to tell us your in one of the best fall foliage viewing areas in
the US(New Hampshire, Vermont and Pennsylvania) and your not going
taking some time off after your training to take some photos?
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Ha! Mav, I wish I could! I don't get much free time, it's pretty intensive training. Actually I haven't seen much in the immediate area that looks very good. Plus I didn't even bring a camera. I still have a glimmer of hope that there'll be SOME gold left on the aspens in the eastern Sierra somewhere, even if it's just four leaves on one tree in a remote canyon. Keep your eye on those aspens for me!
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The 2007 fall southeastern Sierra aspen photography is history now. The big storm last Friday was a major leaf killer as temps at 8000 got well down into the teens. There still are some lowest elevation grove areas that were still green during the storm that will be changing in the next week or so. For instance lower Virginia Creek and the south slopes below Mount Wood near Silver Lake. The cold core of that storm mainly went south so didn't affect areas from Hope Valley north as much. Check the Plumas County leafpeeper site. Pacific dogwood are likely to peak in the central and southern west Sierra areas the following two weekends so is a better subject now.

I spent most of yesterday and today processing lots of Coolpix images and writing a trip story then integrating it into an html document for my web site. Still have to write the slideshow code and ought to have that done sometime tomorrow morning after which I'll import it up to my web server. My 46 Provia 4x5 transparencies won't be back from the lab till Tuesday afternoon so won't add that in till later next week. I potentially nailed some unique snow in aspen grove shots on Saturday morning so am rather eager to get my film back. My Sorrels were kicking through about 5 inches of dry fresh powder that covered everything. Also looking forward to see how I did with a few great pink nightwedge reflections among the Mono tufas.