Mt Harrington/Monarch Divide

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt Harrington/Monarch Divide

Post by commonloon »

Summited Harrington last Thursday via Deer Cove. Creeks were fine; peak flow has passed here. Bugs were off and on, but never bad. Monarch Divide was mostly devoid of snow! Only N,NE aspects had any snow and then just patches. The trail was terribly overgrown. I imagine it hasn't seen any maintenance this year. I managed to sprain my ankle near Harrington pass and headed back early.

IMG_1939.jpeg
IMG_1937.jpeg
IMG_1938.jpeg
IMG_1933.jpeg
Mt Harrington:

https://youtu.be/z5umDLr9rLo

Harrington Pass/Monarch Divide:

https://youtu.be/wYg5Ap9TWqQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Mt Harrington/Monarch Divide

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and videos! To bad about the ankle. :(
How many days were you planning to be in the divide?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

commonloon wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:27 pm Summited Harrington last Thursday via Deer Cove
Weren't you just there last year? Must be a pretty sweet trip in the spring to want to repeat it :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Yes, indeed. The trail is not so great low but from Wildman meadow on, it is a really cool early season hike. Harrington is a great scramble with not a lot of prominence so fairly quick/easy from the pass.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

I had planned 4. I hiked up w/ food, etc. for that, for a day hike. LoL. I had hoped to summit Tenderfoot or Silver Turret and get a cool view of the GoD. Tenderfoot looked like a walk up.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

commonloon wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:39 am I had planned 4. I hiked up w/ food, etc. for that, for a day hike. LoL. I had hoped to summit Tenderfoot or Silver Turret and get a cool view of the GoD. Tenderfoot looked like a walk up.
Pictures of the GoD or it didn't happen :)

I've never seemed to make room for a spring trip to the GoD, but it's always been on my list due to the lack of permit requirements, south facing approach, and overall awesomeness.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

c9h13no3 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:13 am ...due to the lack of permit requirements, south facing approach, and overall awesomeness.
Exactly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Were the wildflowers out near the that rockslide, that is after Fry Pan on the way to Grizzly Lakes?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Maverick - Not as much as I've seen them in the past, but some, it was drier than I expected thru there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, it looks much drier, even Dusy Basin (11k) is way drier then I thought it would be in some of the pictures posted.