Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
BaneSierras
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

Post by BaneSierras »

counselor wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:54 pm
BaneSierras wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:35 pm
GGC23 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:04 am I've also given up on trying to figure out any sort of logical pattern or rule behind when Inyo NF releases walk-up permits. I've been checking recreation.gov almost every day around 8 am and 2 pm, and based on what I've seen, there is no way to know for sure when permits for a certain trailhead will be released. It seems like you can generally expect that they will be available 10-14 days before your start date, but beyond that window, it's anyone's guess.

Regarding calling to get your permit, I did it for the first time yesterday. All things considered, it was fairly painless. I couldn't get through the first few times I called, so I waited 15 minutes and tried again. Someone picked up that second time, and our conversation lasted all of 2 minutes. 760-873-2483 seems to be the best number to call.

I posted above exactly how walk up permits are being handled. They aren't just released. No matter how often you refresh recreation.gov they aren't going to show up until you call and tell them what TH you are going in and how many you want. And you can do this 14 days in advance or less until there are no more permits left (which from my understanding they won't run out of permits for non quota trails unless a ridiculous number of people go)
It sounds like you may have figured it out. It’s a bit ridiculous it has taken people coming together on a forum instead of, you know, just issuing guidance as to how to get a permit? So much for the entire process going online June 1...

I have a running theory that its being left intentionally ambiguous (or at least difficult to figure out) to minimize traffic on the trails while appeasing those that are will do to the work. All while continuing to abide by the principal of public lands being available for all while keeping attendance low enough to not require rangers to be working full schedules.

Just a theory.....

Though, I must say that I was able to to reach someone on multi calls each time at various times throughout the day and even got a returned phone call. Everyone I talked to was extremely helpful.
robo
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by robo »

Updates on some roads and campgrounds in Inyo County. Looks like they will be releasing a weekly list due to irate people calling the rangers. Poor, poor rangers....

The link below has a Word document with the current status of areas based on the Ranger Districts.

https://www.sierrawave.net/june-11-stat ... en-closed/

"With the July 4th weekend on the horizon, many travelers planning to go camping are finding it hard to get information on what camps are open, which camps are closed, and when will those still closed be opened. Many unhappy campers are calling the Forest Service, in some cases, demanding answers. It can’t be a pleasant job answering many of those calls…and reportedly the forest service is being flooded with calls.

The list will be updated and changing on a weekly basis. Stay tuned."
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by notis »

Does anybody have any more information on 1) the Bishop Creek Shuttle; 2) the South Lake Parking Lot; and 3) the Reds Meadow Shuttle/parking? I've scrounged some stuff from online and it's been tough to get in touch with officials. My understanding is that:

1) The BCS appears to be operating as normal this year? It's not mentioned in any service updates, so I'm not sure if the info on its page is outdated.
2) I can't tell if we are allowed to leave our cars in the South Lake Parking Lot. It looks like it, but am I correct in reading that there's a risk the lot would be temporarily closed when you got to your car at the end of your trip (preventing you from leaving)? It looks like you'd be given a two-week notice of the closure...somehow? Saw a car trapped in the Horseshoe Meadows lot this weekend...
3) It looks like a June 12th decision resulted in no Reds Meadow Shuttle this year. They 'may or may not' allow private vehicles there later this year. I'm not familiar with that area, so excuse my ignorance--but if no private vehicles were allowed, that would essentially mean no TH access, right? You'd have to walk or bike the road from town?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

1) The BCS appears to be operating as normal this year? It's not mentioned in any service updates, so I'm not sure if the info on its page is outdated.
They did start running on 6/13 as indicated on their site.
2) I can't tell if we are allowed to leave our cars in the South Lake Parking Lot
Inyo NF:
South Lake Road reconstruction will begin the week of May 11,2020. Trailhead parking for Tyee Lakes and Bishop Pass will be closed for construction at times (with two-week advanced notice) this summer and the number of parking spaces will be reduced for most of the summer. Hikers need to plan for travel delays, re-routed trailhead access, alternatives to long-term parking, and consider shuttles to/from trailheads. The Forks and Willow Campgrounds may be closes up to two days and Four Jeffrey Campground may be closed for up to ten days this summer. Local businesses and services along South Lake Road will remain open and accessible during construction.
3) It looks like a June 12th decision resulted in no Reds Meadow Shuttle this year. They 'may or may not' allow private vehicles there later this year. I'm not familiar with that area, so excuse my ignorance--but if no private vehicles were allowed, that would essentially mean no TH access, right? You'd have to walk or bike the road from town?
Park at Horseshoe Lake and hike the Mammoth Pass Trail to Reds Meadow 3.5 miles. There is also a trail from Minaret Summit that goes towards Deadman Pass, which becomes crosscountrym, and descend down to meetup with the PCT.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

mav, is the horseshoe lake lot going to be large enough to handle a ton of cars this summer? i'm not familiar with it.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

maverick wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:28 am They did start running on 6/13 as indicated on their site.
Thanks, Mav. I saw that, but since they've had schedule and service changes due to COVID, I was wondering that that's still the case. On their update page, the BCS wasn't listed.
South Lake Road reconstruction will begin the week of May 11,2020. Trailhead parking for Tyee Lakes and Bishop Pass will be closed for construction at times (with two-week advanced notice) this summer and the number of parking spaces will be reduced for most of the summer. Hikers need to plan for travel delays, re-routed trailhead access, alternatives to long-term parking, and consider shuttles to/from trailheads. The Forks and Willow Campgrounds may be closes up to two days and Four Jeffrey Campground may be closed for up to ten days this summer. Local businesses and services along South Lake Road will remain open and accessible during construction.
Indeed, hitting a shuttle at the end of a hike can be difficult (behind schedule), or a waste of time (ahead of schedule). Leaving a car is preferred. I'm wondering if there's any additional information that anybody has from talking to Inyo (or actual experience with) re: the reduction in parking, etc.
Park at Horseshoe Lake and hike the Mammoth Pass Trail to Reds Meadow 3.5 miles. There is also a trail from Minaret Summit that goes towards Deadman Pass, which becomes crosscountrym, and descend down to meetup with the PCT.
Ah, I still haven't mastered this shuttle business up there. Our hike would start at High Trail/Agnew Meadows stop. If Minaret Summit isn't a stop that requires a mandatory shuttle, we can park there and roadwalk 3mi, or take this XC trail you're talking about? It's a little fuzzy to me--I'm just trying to understand it in the context of the mandatory shuttle not running...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks, Mav. I saw that, but since they've had schedule and service changes due to COVID, I was wondering that that's still the case. On their update page, the BCS wasn't listed.
Called BCS to confirm this morning. :)
Ah, I still haven't mastered this shuttle business up there. Our hike would start at High Trail/Agnew Meadows stop. If Minaret Summit isn't a stop that requires a mandatory shuttle, we can park there and roadwalk 3mi, or take this XC trail you're talking about? It's a little fuzzy to me--I'm just trying to understand it in the context of the mandatory shuttle not running...
With there being no shuttle and cars are not allowed yet, you will need to hike from either Horseshoe Lake, Minaret Summit/Deadman Pass route, or hike down the road. You will need to verify whether long term parking is still allowed at Minaret Summit, it has been almost 2 decades that I parked there and went down that route.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Calling 760-873-2483 and 2500 over and over. No luck at all. Sorry this number is busy. 1 of 15 tries gets me a ring tone, but that simply disconnects after 10 rings. Ugh. It'd be helpful if they'd institute a que so I didn't have to keep hitting 0 over and over. Sorry this number is busy.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

thegib wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am Calling 760-873-2483 and 2500 over and over. No luck at all. Sorry this number is busy. 1 of 15 tries gets me a ring tone, but that simply disconnects after 10 rings. Ugh. It'd be helpful if they'd institute a que so I didn't have to keep hitting 0 over and over. Sorry this number is busy.
I’ve had spotty luck. Generally same experience, but have gotten through twice. Will be interesting to see how it goes when we actually call to get our permit emailed to us.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

thegib wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:25 am Calling 760-873-2483 and 2500 over and over. No luck at all. Sorry this number is busy. 1 of 15 tries gets me a ring tone, but that simply disconnects after 10 rings. Ugh. It'd be helpful if they'd institute a que so I didn't have to keep hitting 0 over and over. Sorry this number is busy.
I called at least 40 times yesterday. Either got a message line was busy, or it rang and rang until it disconnected. I've only got so much patience and this is becoming ridiculous. I paid my money, and I'm going in either with or without a real permit if I can't get through.

John