Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
blackshuk
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by blackshuk »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:26 am
blackshuk wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:02 am Goodale (Pass?)
Not in the Inyo National Forest. You taking a long walk, or coming in from the west side?
Goodale Mountain and Striped Mountain. In the John Muir Wilderness Eastern Sierra. Overnight camping
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

blackshuk wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:51 am
Not in the Inyo National Forest. You taking a long walk, or coming in from the west side?
Goodale Mountain and Striped Mountain. In the John Muir Wilderness Eastern Sierra. Overnight camping
My western Sierra bias is showing :)

You need permit #JM27, Taboose Pass. Unless you're entering the wilderness from somewhere else.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
96avs01
Topix Novice

Post by 96avs01 »

blackshuk wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:02 am Goodale (Mountain)?
If so, I assume you're coming from Goodale Creek, as opposed to Taboose? Probably easiest to just call White Mountain Ranger Station.
blackshuk
Topix Novice

Post by blackshuk »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:25 pm
blackshuk wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:51 am
My western Sierra bias is showing :)

You need permit #JM27, Taboose Pass. Unless you're entering the wilderness from somewhere else.
hahaha no worries c9, thank you for your help
blackshuk
Topix Novice

Post by blackshuk »

96avs01 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:39 pm
If so, I assume you're coming from Goodale Creek, as opposed to Taboose? Probably easiest to just call White Mountain Ranger Station.
yes that's correct. I assumed to just get the closest trailhead, because at the end of the day you just need a permit in hand..? :rockon:
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

blackshuk wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:05 pm
yes that's correct. I assumed to just get the closest trailhead, because at the end of the day you just need a permit in hand..? :rockon:
No one's going to check you if you want to go up the east face of Goodale :P
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
96avs01
Topix Novice

Post by 96avs01 »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:12 pm
blackshuk wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:05 pm
No one's going to check you if you want to go up the east face of Goodale :P
Agreed!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I think the trailhead was listed as Armstrong Canyon, at least that is what they listed it as on our wilderness permit when we were doing our search for Larry in the basin immediately south of Goodale Mtn. The road to the gaging station and on to the trailhead is a very rough 4 wd road, you will need a high clearance vehicle.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

I just got off the phone to get my reserved permits issued. I spent several hours calling all of the ranger station offices plus the permit office number repeatedly until one of them finally went through. Here are a few things I learned.

I had two different reserved permits that were within the 14 day call-in window. They happily issued both of them with one phone call (although I haven't actually gotten the emailed permits yet; they said it might not happen until within a couple days of the dates of the trips.) I mentioned that I've had a zillion permits over dozens of years and the lecture was very brief. They did not ask about where I was planning to camp each night, but that may have just been the person I reached being kind or trying to hurry the procedure due to the phones being so busy.

I asked for clarification of how the walk-up procedure is working. I also asked if it was posted online somewhere, and she could not direct me to a link with this info. But this is what she, and also the recordings that you get on the Mammoth and Lee Vining ranger station phone lines, now say:

The walk-up spaces are added into the recreation.gov system each MONDAY for the following MONDAY-SUNDAY. So, on June 22, slots will be opened up for June 29-July 5. However, they are entering the slots into the system by hand - it's not automated. They are adding the slots in from 8-4:30 on Mondays. They will not just all automatically appear at 8 am. They'll appear at some point through those hours, for each trail as they get to them. Once you have a walk-up space reserved on recreation.gov, THEN you call and the procedure is exactly the same as if you'd had a reserved permit slot instead of a walk-up permit slot - they give you the lecture and email the actual permits for you to sign.

She said the procedure has changed over time as they work things out, so it makes sense that the information others have relayed here is different from this. I have not tried to get a walk-up permit, so I can't personally vouch for this - just passing on the info I received minutes ago.

Also, I asked if Taboose Pass was going to open at all this summer, and she didn't know - just knew that it was not open now. Red Lake is in the same category, due to last Fall's fire.
sukhoi_584th
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by sukhoi_584th »

Thanks, that confirms (with more detail) what I was told on the phone this morning on the 760-873-2483 number regarding the walk-up permit process. I guess my refresh button is going to get a workout on Monday.