Fall colors yet?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

A friend and up hiked up Parker Lake trail last Sunday morning. I expected the aspen were going to be mostly baked due to the winds and cold storm but Mount Wood looked so aesthetic with snow instead of its usual dark shadowy cliffs that we gambled. The above is a Coolpix shot of Mount Wood from that area I also pointed my view camera at exposing a couple sheets of film. Taint near the trail haha as we always seem to ramble crosscountry hunting secret goods. After returning to the trailhead he drove off down the dirt road as he had to return to the SF Bay Area while I lingered a couple minutes before I would head south to Bishop. Then I followed down the road and when I saw the aspen grove in your picture, SnowNymph, decided to drive up into the grove on a short dirt road not on the map. Soon as I did my friend's car appeared driving towards me as he apparently had the same idea haha. The stream inside all your aspens flows out of the main Mount Wood grove. In the past I parked down here on the Parker trail road and hiked a half mile or so along the stream hunting for good trees. ...David
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Nice shot Dave!

I suppose though by next Friday I won't have much luck. :(
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

We took a drive up to Tahoe via US50, on 10/23, Aspen were pretty good around the Lake, with willows. Hiked up Spooner Lake/North Canyon (NV) for the upper aspens, but most were bare. The oaks from Placerville to Strawberry were very good with low angle morning or evening sun, and were covering a lot of the Whitehall burn with some color. Most colorful display was in Taylor Creek.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/1731285403_cc5f514a25_o.jpg[/img]
[/img][/url]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/treeliner/1760105257/