Wilderness Permit Information

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
astrogerly
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wilderness Permit Information

Post by astrogerly »

Cool! Yeah, I just got off the phone with the Lone Pine station. Heard the same thing and that they were having power issues all day today too.
jfr
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfr »

After several days of calling and not getting through for a Trail Pass permit (it's a no quota trail) which recreation.gov hasn't updated for reservations beyond 6/21 (I want 6/24) I saw a news article in the SierraWave which states that Horseshoe Meadows Road is still closed at the NF Boundary (4000 feet below and 12 miles from the trailhead)! This throws a monkey wrench into my plans, but I'm glad I found out now. Does anyone know when it's due to open? Or if I can park by the gate? Sorry for the slightly off-topic post...

https://www.sierrawave.net/june-11-stat ... en-closed/

EDIT: The closed gate is right up by the trailhead parking lots, less than a mile walk, according to user notis. So no worries!
Last edited by jfr on Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trip Reports and PhotoJournal: http://hikingtales.com/
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

who owns the gate and what number are you calling? I'd be happy to call them as well for a gate opening date if it'll help. power in numbers and all.
blackshuk
Topix Novice

Post by blackshuk »

Do I need a wilderness permit if I'm going to an area not listed on recreation.gov? If so, what do I do?
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

blackshuk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:58 am Do I need a wilderness permit if I'm going to an area not listed on recreation.gov? If so, what do I do?
Check the website for the agency office that manages the area where you will be hiking. Most official Wilderness areas in Callifornia require a permit, but not all are available on recreation.gov. Both Yosemite and Sequoia-Kings Canyon Parks manage their own permit reservations, as do some of the national forests.

-Phil
blackshuk
Topix Novice

Post by blackshuk »

wildhiker wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:03 pm
blackshuk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:58 am Do I need a wilderness permit if I'm going to an area not listed on recreation.gov? If so, what do I do?
Check the website for the agency office that manages the area where you will be hiking. Most official Wilderness areas in Callifornia require a permit, but not all are available on recreation.gov. Both Yosemite and Sequoia-Kings Canyon Parks manage their own permit reservations, as do some of the national forests.

-Phil
I'm going to Inyo NF John Muir Wilderness, so I know I need a permit for overnight. I'm wondering though if I'm not going to an area that is in the reservation list online, what permit do I need?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

blackshuk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:27 pm

-Phil
I'm going to Inyo NF John Muir Wilderness, so I know I need a permit for overnight. I'm wondering though if I'm not going to an area that is in the reservation list online, what permit do I need?
Where you going?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
torpified
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by torpified »

SEKI permits: I've reserved and paid for a permit, which will be emailed to me after I've received a phone briefing about prevailing norms from a wilderness ranger. There's the rub --- they haven't called me and my (numerous) attempts to call them have all spilled me into an overfull voicemail box. Time is running out and (as usual) I don't have any great ideas. Any tips/recent experience/reassuring or discouraging words?

I've got a spot in a NF campground the night before my permitted trip. My original plan was to leave early the day before the permit starts, do some day hiking, then creep around the campground looking for long sticks to use to open the outhouse doors. Btu what if it comes time to initiate this plan and I still haven't been issued a permit? Has anyone finagled their way into existing permits by showing up at the entrance station with permit confirmations and sob stories about overfill voice mailboxes?
blackshuk
Topix Novice

Post by blackshuk »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:55 pm
blackshuk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:27 pm

-Phil
Where you going?
Goodale
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

blackshuk wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:02 am Goodale (Pass?)
Not in the Inyo National Forest. You taking a long walk, or coming in from the west side?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.