All Four Seasons One Day in Yosemite

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
MooseTracks
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

All Four Seasons One Day in Yosemite

Post by MooseTracks »

Well, it started off perfectly: hit the road around 7:30, caught up with Rick Kent (finally!) at the Grapevine Denny’s as we headed opposite directions. We sat there for 3 hours annoying our waitress but catching up on adventures. Apparently he’s the rappel god now, and convinced that he has more crap in his truck than I do. Gee, competitive much? Looks like we’ll get along just fine, thank you!

It started snowing outside of Oakhurst as the TOF hit around 5K ft, and continued until descending into Wawona, then picking right back up again. As I crested Chinquapin and headed towards tunnel view, everything lightened up to reveal the clearing storm to the west along the Merced Canyon.

I knew if I was to enjoy the snow I had to get my buns out of bed Saturday morning, so after an awesome dinner with mom and dad (grilled filet mignon wrapped in bacon, 3-bean salad, and baked potatoes from the campfire), I hit the sack in the TOF. The alarm was painful at 3, but I was rolling by 3:45. Looking up from the bridge over the Merced outside of Upper Pines CG, I switched off the headlamp to check out the stars. No moon, and every last twinkle was brilliant in the cold night air. I walked past North Pines and the stables, then switched the lamp back on. I scanned right, then left, then FROZE. Two bright green eyes looked back at me from near the ground about 50ft off. (No, Mike, it WASN’T a squirrel! And NO, I didn’t get a picture of it) For a moment, neither of us moved, and I couldn’t make out a body shape since the lamp-light didn’t extend that far. So instead of waiting for it to come towards me, I advanced a step or two, yelling, growling, slapping my poles together. It stood, took two steps away, then turned around and looked again. I kept yelling at it, trying to be as threatening as possible, and it finally skulked off.

I almost turned back for the TOF and my warm sleeping bag. Then I almost hid in the crapper at Mirror “Lakeâ€
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

That is amazing...to see that wide of a variety of conditions in one day. Great pictures and thanks for the TR.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Man, I miss Yosemite! Wish it wasn't such a drive from San Diego! Thanks for making me jealous, Moosie!!!!!! :( Great pics; I think I'd like to try some snowshoeing there this winter. That sure sounds like the way to end a hike; warm, and LOTS of food!!! :D
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Looks like you had a great time, I'll bet your parents are very proud of you.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Laura I always enjoy reading your TR...awesome and fun reading :) ....Love the frosted snow leaf pics.
That arch is very cool, reminds me of the arches in Southern Utah.
Nice you had your parents there with you :nod:
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

Thanks everyone, for the kind comments. My parents have been going to the Valley for over 20 years now, as often as 4x/year for either camping or staying in the Lodge (At The Falls now. It sounds so hoity-toity!) Since I've been able to join them regularly the past few years, I've found it's one of the most special things I get to do with them.

We might have to skip our annual Easter pilgrimage this coming March/April, though, as my sister will be due with her first child. But I hear the Columbia Gorge is fantastic that time of year (she lives in Portland!).

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621