Stanislaus Nat'l Forest closures extended to May 15th

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stanislaus Nat'l Forest closures extended to May 15th

Post by schmalz »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:41 pm
schmalz wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:45 pm It appears that wilderness permits will not be issued this year.
Uhhh yer gonna have to source that there bud.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/stanisl ... ecid=15107

"Wilderness Permits: As long as the Shelter In Place Executive Order issued by Gov. Gavin Newsom is in effect, the Stanislaus National Forest Service will not issue wilderness permits required for overnight camping in our wilderness areas. See the Stanislaus National Forest home page for more information."

It's quite possible I'm misreading this, but isn't shelter in place still Newsom's general policy position?
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by seanr »

Trailheads along Clark Fork are open and accessible. Spring is beginning to bloom down low. Snow is present in many places above 7,000 feet in shady and north facing areas and almost ever present above 8,000 feet. Of course, snow dumped for a couple days as this week began.

Personally, I have no issue with being out in light use places during light use times, leave no trace style. Hiking and similar activities are not virus spreaders unless touching, breathing on, or sneezing on other people or objects in common. Generally, brief potential exposure, especially outdoors, won't spread it easily either. Not that borders matter much to nature, but the county I played in is socially distant even when not in wilderness with a population of ~1,100. I drove through Sonora without stopping along my way to and from the area. I saw a small amount of other tracks in snow, one other car per day at the end of the road, and some fisherman out and about along the main road.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8J1g4Fj94WbZb2Uz5
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

Nice little video/slide show, seanr ! That was a pretty long glissade.
BlueInGreen
Topix Novice

Post by BlueInGreen »

Circling back to this older thread to just keep tracking this... website now says that it’ll open up in “late stage 3”? Apparently stage 3 is slated to start 6/12. But what is LATE stage 3? And why has backpacking all over the state opened up (with various new restrictions) while Stanislaus remains closed?

Does anyone know who to call up to ask about this? The ranger stations are still noted as “temporarily closed.”
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

BlueInGreen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am Circling back to this older thread to just keep tracking this... website now says that it’ll open up in “late stage 3”? Apparently stage 3 is slated to start 6/12. But what is LATE stage 3? And why has backpacking all over the state opened up (with various new restrictions) while Stanislaus remains closed?

Does anyone know who to call up to ask about this? The ranger stations are still noted as “temporarily closed.”
They issued forest orders which replaced the mega-full-closure order back in May a while back.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
BlueInGreen
Topix Novice

Post by BlueInGreen »

But wilderness permits for overnights seems to still be closed according to the website, no?