2020 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
caddis
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: 2020 Backcountry Conditions Reports

Post by caddis »

What is SNCC-TPP?
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

caddis wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:41 am What is SNCC-TPP?
A Facebook group: Sierra Nevada something something. I used to be a member, but found that for every good condition report, you had to read a bunch of mindless drivel.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

Snowing in Desolation this afternoon!
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Toni
Topix Newbie

Post by Toni »

Facebook group- Sierra Nevada Current Conditions- Trails, Passes and Peaks
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:32 pm
A Facebook group: Sierra Nevada something something. I used to be a member, but found that for every good condition report, you had to read a bunch of mindless drivel.
Thanks, I should have guessed. I'm in that group too. Rarely find anything useful in it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Second Lake 6/7

Post by maverick »

Posted by Fred Kallberg on ESHB:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Shamrock Lake 6/2-6/5

Post by maverick »

Liz Livermont posted on ESHB:
I didn't go above Saddlerock Lake, but it was clear to Long Lake, with three smallish sections (10-50 feet) of snow to Saddlerock. Looking towards the pass, there was definitely more continuous snow fields past that point. (Trip was June 2-5).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Glen Pass 6/4

Post by maverick »

Posted by Sierra ter Veer on SNCC-TPP:
Glen Pass, north side, afternoon of June 4th. Very little of actual trail exposed. Mostly crossing through snow and scrambling over the rocks. Friends did bishop, Pinchot, and Mather passes as well. They were doable but better to do early in the morning to avoid post-holing. Definitely recommend carrying micro spikes.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Mono Pass 6/7

Post by maverick »

Mike Womack posted on ESHB:
Mono pass as of last Sunday. Snow starts at 11800 or so.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Old Army Pass / New Army Pass

Post by maverick »

Re-posted pic's on Mt. Whitney Zone: