Spanish Mountain via Crown Valley TH

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Spanish Mountain via Crown Valley TH

Post by seanr »

OpenSkiesBeckon
Topix Novice

Re: Spanish Mountain via Crown Valley TH

Post by OpenSkiesBeckon »

Thanks for sharing this! Loved the slow 360, that was great! What creek is that first waterfall on (the one where you swam later)? And is that last waterfall also along the hike? Would love to know the route if you don't mind sharing. The sequoias were a surprise as well. Looked like a great trip, I'll have to do it someday soon!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Thanks for posting this. It really gives a great view of the Kings Canyon high country--hard to believe it's the beginning of June!
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

OpenSkiesBeckon wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:01 pm Thanks for sharing this! Loved the slow 360, that was great! What creek is that first waterfall on (the one where you swam later)? And is that last waterfall also along the hike? Would love to know the route if you don't mind sharing. The sequoias were a surprise as well. Looked like a great trip, I'll have to do it someday soon!
Although I would not say near Wishon Reservoir is the most spectacular Sierra forest area to wander simply as a hiker, the snow is mostly gone, the cross country travel is easy, and there are some gems to experience. I don't track my routes nor tend stick closely to a particular route plan. Generally, I went from Crown Valley TH via trail to Statham Meadow, where I veered cross country to Twin Lakes (there are use trails I used at times). I opted to ascend Spanish Mountain via 9,850, but descended closer to Geraldine Lakes just for fun (not shortest nor easiest route). The falls on Rancheria Creek were visible from trail, but I briefly descended rugged class 2 to experience them up close. With off trail travel I'm sure one could find additional nice pools and small falls in that area below Statham Creek. The big trees are roadside--McKinley Grove.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................
Indeed Giantbrookie, I was slightly surprised by the level of panorama I experienced and how little snow was left....the results of that long winter dry spell.