TR: Middle Pal Sept 2019

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Middle Pal Sept 2019

Post by SNOOOOW »

Harlen wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:26 pm

I feel the same, BTW, what peaks have you in mind for a "big, crazy mission?" Here are a few big, crazy ideas:

Mt. Sill via Scimitar Pass; Cathedral Peak by the easy western route; Mount Tom by the endless NE Ridge; Dragon Peak from Onion Valley...

Best of luck, Ian.
I still need to re visit Mt Tom, that is where Russ died. We were on our way up to Tom and Basin but not as day hikes. I have a specific plan for Tom now due to my last visit up Horton Creek.
1 particular "big, crazy mission" coming up is a day hike of Muir. I have a permit for mid June currently.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Please do a detailed trip report on Mt. Muir- it is one of the 14'ers that I still need to do. But I will do it probably from the west side, as part of another trip. I do not want to deal with the permitting and am too old to consider a day-hike from the Portal.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

I will Daisy, assuming I actually do it. If the Whitney portal is closed then I guess my permit will be cancelled and refunded. I am planning on going tho
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Harlen wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:34 am Gazelle writes:
But I did Middle and Norman Clyde as day hikes. may do Sill and Palisade crest area as a backpack.
Nice (long, hard) work on those two peaks as day hikes/climbs. Re. the Palisade crest, is that different than the Palisade Traverse?. And as for Mt. Sill, do you, and Jon too, like the idea of climbing via Scimitar Pass? Or do you intend to do the Swiss Arete, Glacier Notch, or ??? Never been up Sill, and I'd love to bag that famous view.
Jon, maybe we can attach a rope to Gazelle and be pulled up whatever she does?
From what I have read about Sill I was thinking either from Barrett Lakes/potluck pass or glacier notch. I had a plan to head to Big Pine Lakes last week and base camp at 5th Lake for maybe 5 nights and Sill was maybe going to be on my list of things to do but that smoke shut me down. I am pretty bummed about that, was going to be a nice long trip exploring all the nooks out there. Maybe next year.

Daisy I obviously never made it up Muir this Summer as my permits were cancelled because of the shut down. I managed to get only 7 nights out in the backcountry which is a new low for me and I haven't summitted 1 peak. What a weird year. :drinkers: