First time backpacking... need suggestions on locations

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
chuckiebrown
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

First time backpacking... need suggestions on locations

Post by chuckiebrown »

My friends and I are planning a 3 night backpacking trip this weekend. Its our first time out and we’re having some trouble locking down a location. We’ve done countless day trips and car camping trips but this would be our first time in the back country. We were originally thinking of heading into the Sabrina Basin (Hungry Packer Lake) but with campfires prohibited in this area, we’re hoping for alternate locations.

Since its our first time out, we’re hoping for a moderate 3-8 mile hike in, good fishing spots a must, low mosquitoes, and permitted campfires. Hope we're not asking for too much...

We’d be driving up from Southern California so anything south of Mammoth would be doable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Chuckie,
Hungry Packer is a sensational choice! Given the fire restrictions this year (but, you really need to consult with the rangers for the latest on the restrictions), you guys are probably going to have to make a choice: either go with a stove or go someplace much lower elevation (that will not be as spectacular) where you can have a fire. Typically, the elevation cutoff for fires is in the 9600-10,000' range, so that really limits you. Personally, I'd take a stove and go to Hungry Packer; the fall colors are kicking in and it should be gorgeous!
cgundersen
chuckiebrown
Topix Newbie

Post by chuckiebrown »

Thanks for the input cgundersen! I think our hearts are set now... Sabrina Basin here we come!
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Oh, two other comments: first, don't worry about mosquitos. On two short East side trips (late August in the Big Pine Creek area and early Sept in the Bear Lakes) there were none; second, keep track of the weather forecasts and be prepared for snow if that's what's predicted (see Quandary's post in the rockclimbing section).
CG
chuckiebrown
Topix Newbie

Post by chuckiebrown »

Thanks for the heads up! We'll definately keep that in mind.