Topix Carcamp 2007 &Snow Crown Summit

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by ridgeline »

Great TR Robin, It was a great day in the Sierra, with a lot of fun people. Its good to see some of you are catching up to my age, Tom! Think I could borrow some hair? I am really glad I got to meet you Rosi, and Larry, darn your fast!, Lewis you boulder rolling champion you, Laura, you are a riot! slow down damn it! Robin good to see ya again, Sooz, thanks for the laughs, Snowy always with a smile! Salim, I love ya man! Jim, it was brief, but good to meet you, Doug, get a shave you look like ****!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

tomcat_rc wrote:Larry - you are an animal - you mowed up that loose chute like you were part billy goat
Tom, I need your testimonial for my doctor, who is trying to put me through all sorts of (unnecessary) medical tests because I have borderline anemia. Red blood cells are overrated.:)

It was great meeting you all and I'm so happy I could finally make one of the Topix events. A special thank you to Robin who had to drive me down the Onion Valley road to get my keys, and then drive me all the way back up, then drive all the way back to Lone Pine for what must have been very cold pizza by the time she got there.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

DAVE!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

It was a fun trip, great seeing y'all, nice climb- beautiful day!

(but oh those DAMN pants! ) :retard:
Lewis
Topix Acquainted

Post by Lewis »

and Tina T.(Tina - now entered in my cell phone as "Talking Tina")
Talking Tina:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj1Xn3VB818 :eek:
(but oh those DAMN pants! )
I would post some pics, but I have already been threatend with death.

Great to see Snow Nymph, (H)Tom_Cat, Trekker, Trailtrekker06, & Ranbooze again.

Also great to meet all everybody else for the first time, even that girl with the antlers. :)

Sorry I didnt join you at the Portal Store, I had been fighting a flu bug all weekend, and by the time I made it up to the store, I was feeling yuky and I was already suffering from an ear ache :eek:

~Lewis
"I'll hike with anybody,....... I'm not proud"

http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

I want to also add that I had a GREAT time on the trip, even though it was just a LITTLE more cardio than I'm used to! Sorry if I caused any worry for anyone on the trip; it's the reason I now consider myself somewhat of an expert on night hiking!!! :D

I want to give a special shout-out to everyone who helped arrange this, and especially Snowy. Most of you who know her know the work she puts into getting these things together, and that she takes it personally that everyone have a good time and feel welcome and informed. She is the epitome of an unselfish person! :nod: Thanks for all your help, advice, and (mostly) good-natured nagging. It's appreciated. :righton:

Larry, I saw you with my binoculars up on Snow Crown quite some time before anyone else got up there. I'm pretty certain you do not have classic anemia. What you might have is what is sometimes colloquially called runners or athletes anemia. What happens is that the plasma portion of the blood expands to a greater extent than the hematocrit (the 'solid' portion of the blood, such as red blood cells) and this can lead to this type of anemia. Since anemia tests involve testing hematocrit levels, you can be diagnosed with anemia b/c your hematocrit levels per volume unit of blood is low. Robin (Ranboze) can probably give you a little more on the technical aspects of the tests, since she is a nurse. Your doctor may not be aware of this, so you may want to get some more info and bring it to him.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Must have been a good time! I have over 120 pix posted, and most of them are people! Since it was my 5th attempt, the scenery pix are in my other albums. Fun times! :D

Sat & Sun, Sept 29-30, 2007
Snow Crown (12,423') and Pancake Mountain

PHOTOS: http://snownymph.smugmug.com/gallery/3568982#202533680

It was nice meeting new friends and seeing the old ones again! We have to do this more than once a year! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

ridgeline wrote:...Laura, you are a riot! slow down damn it!...
Someone forward this to my other hiking buds! :eek:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Post by will_jrob »

Ranboze, good set of pics, thanks. How did I miss you guys? I took a break at Gilbert beyond the outlet, was there until the hunters passed down the trail, then crossed over to Matlock.
Snowy, another fine collection, thank you as well. When did you pass the hunters,( I suppose above Gilbert?) I had my bright red hat prominently displayed, if they weren't after moose they might have settled for an old goat.
Last edited by will_jrob on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Jim - when you passed by me at the JM Wilderness sign I mentioned us all meeting back up at Little Pothole Lake - probably you did not hear me - we stopped there for at least 15 minutes and again at the large rock on the NW side of Gilbert - so you were probably still ahead of us.

I did see your tracks beyond the upper saddle but nowhere near Snow Crown's summit blocks - if you went to the bump on the left that would explain it. my guess is that we took different routes up from Bench Lake - you may have taken the route that Joe and I took two weeks ago.

if so - this would have been you view up to the saddle and you would have come up directly into the saddle:

however this trip we went around Bench on the north side of the lake and started up the narrower chute at the NW side of the lake. you can see by Snow Nymphs picture this takes you to the bump on the east side of the saddle:

that may be how our paths crossed both going up and down.

looking over Snowy's pictures now[/list]
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want