Thermal Top/Shirt Recommendations?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Thermal Top/Shirt Recommendations?

Post by John Harper »

I need some suggestions on a thermal baselayer top. I tried the polypropylene military style, but the belly part of the shirt seems to lose any elastic qualities almost immediately. It's not my 32" waist causing it either. I see some "thermal compression" tee shirts, which I'm not sure are really a baselayer style. I generally am not bothered by cold but something thicker would probably be of more universal application, as would a wicking fabric.

I still have an awesome thermal top that is literally falling apart, but the tag is long gone and I forget what brand. It's a nice smooth outside with polyester fleece inside (?) and the belly has stayed relatively unstretched. If I could find another like that, I would ceremoniously retire this one.

I just need a good fitting, long lasting top baselayer. I found what works for me as a bottom baselayer, so I'm good there.

Thank you,

John
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Thermal Top/Shirt Recommendations?

Post by bobby49 »

John Harper wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:11 am the belly part of the shirt seems to lose any elastic qualities almost immediately.
What does that tell you?

I tend to be very serious about the right kind of base layer for winter trips, e.g. cross country skiing. However, for summer backpacking in the Sierra, I don't find much of a problem. For summer, I wear a simple non-stretchy polyester t-shirt with a thin nylon long sleeve shirt over it. Then if the summer trip gets cool, I pull on a thicker polyester sweater. If the summer trip gets cold, then I pull on a down inner jacket with a rain jacket over that. So, each of my layers goes on and off in the same sequence. I hate to have to strip down to the skin to pull on some different layer.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

It tells me to ask for recommendations, and plan to spend more money this time.

"About 35 years ago I had purchased a very warm polyester fleece shirt, and it still keeps me warm without weighing a ton (about 10 ounces)." - bobby49 Sounds like you had/have something similar to what I still have and want to replace. Have you upgraded?

That's pretty much exactly how I dress, but I've used the thermal shirt in place of your "thin nylon long sleeve" shirt. I don't really get bothered that much by cold, so only a few layers works for me. I shed layers and dress in tee shirt and shorts most the day. Thermal polypro bottoms with shorts over them, take off the thermals when I get warm. The polypro military bottoms work quite well for me, YMMV. Lightweight, durable, warm, and dry quickly if wet. I just need to find a top that I'm happy with.

John
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

John Harper wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:37 am Have you upgraded?
I have not upgraded much, but I have modified.

I purchased this thick synthetic pullover sweater around 1980. The problem I found was that it was made as a pullover. Therefore, it is either all the way on or all the way off. For my heat management, this is impractical. So, about 2010 I modified it to add a front zipper to make it more adjustable.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Several years ago I purchased a Patagonia Cashmere pullover sweater. That's my goto mid layer now and its only a couple of ounces heavier than the R-1 pullover. With fleece I was always too hot at first, then cold so I always try to make natural fibers work first.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tlsharb »

For a base layer I wear Under Armor mid weight when the weather is moderate/cold, and when it heats up I put on a lighweight EMS techwick shirt. I"ve hiked in the Under Armor for over a decade and it is still going strong. Added the Techwick about 3-4 years ago....it is a very comfy "next to the skin" layer (and very cheap if you wait for a sale).
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

tlsharb wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:37 am For a base layer I wear Under Armor mid weight when the weather is moderate/cold, and when it heats up I put on a lighweight EMS techwick shirt. I"ve hiked in the Under Armor for over a decade and it is still going strong. Added the Techwick about 3-4 years ago....it is a very comfy "next to the skin" layer (and very cheap if you wait for a sale).
Thank you, that's good info.

John
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

John,
I'm a big fan of Smartwool merino. No itch, cool when hot, warm when not. Funk factor very little or no existent as it's dry in the Sierra as compared to Texas.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

austex wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:29 am John,
I'm a big fan of Smartwool merino. No itch, cool when hot, warm when not. Funk factor very little or no existent as it's dry in the Sierra as compared to Texas.
Yes, I've heard of that brand, thank you!

John
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

I purchased a crew top by Underarmour, Baselayer 3.0. Seems to fit well, although a bit long in the body. I guess that helps in tucking it into my shorts or pants. Seems to be quite warm, gonna go out on my daily walk and see. Thanks to all for their advice!

John