SEKI Permit Issue

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI Permit Issue

Post by bobby49 »

I suspect that you did not receive your permit confirmation. I suspect that you received your reservation confirmation, and you will need to go to one of the issuing stations to receive the physical permit right before you enter. By that time, the issuing stations may be closed down because of the virus.
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

You are correct. I should have been clearer. I received my application confirmation, for which I paid the reservation fee. Yes, I will take that confirmation to the permit station and get my permit.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

bobby49 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:20 am I suspect that you did not receive your permit confirmation. I suspect that you received your reservation confirmation, and you will need to go to one of the issuing stations to receive the physical permit right before you enter. By that time, the issuing stations may be closed down because of the virus.
Gee whiz, hopefully not! His permit is for a trip in AUG.
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by tmorton23 »

Bishop_Bob wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:04 pm
Gee whiz, hopefully not! His permit is for a trip in AUG.
Ha! The last part of that comment didn't register. I'm ever the optimist. I'm definitely hoping that the permit issuing station will be open by then...virus free.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

tmorton23 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:09 pm
I'm definitely hoping that the permit issuing station will be open by then...virus free.
Don't get me wrong. The permit office will be open by August, for sure. The question is: What year?
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

I still havent received any word on mine or my wifes application. anyone else still waiting like me?
GBDGBD
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by GBDGBD »

I haven't heard anything either. Submitted a request after midnight on March 1 for a July date.

In previous years I used to submit on March 1st (via email and fax!) and get a response in a few days. When did they start taking 3-4 weeks to process?
bbayley80
Topix Regular

Post by bbayley80 »

GBDGBD, davidsheridan -
I haven't heard on mine either. I too got the same odd double emails(the 'too early' followed by the accepted/processing')
my application was accepted at 12:49AM 3/1 for a trip start date of 8/5.
I emailed mine in later than that last year and received my confirmation 3/19.
so its odd-as I know they process in the order they were received. at this point this trip is a shining beacon of hope(and a change of scenery from my home) so I hope it was not lost in some weird glitch.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular

Post by davidsheridan »

My acceptance also came at 12:49, even though I submitted at 12:01. my guess is somehow we got bumbed further back in line and they just haven't gotten to processing us yet. I Would love to get great news email from SEKI, but I saw today that the Park is officially closed.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

My impression is that wilderness permit applications are processed by the staff of the SEKI Wilderness Office. That Office closed last week.

Even if the staff at the closed Wilderness Office are still working there, currently they might be hesitant to issue a permit reservation for backcountry travel in SEKI, since yesterday the Park "closed to all visitors until further notice."

Personally, I am optimistic and plan to hunker down and let the storm pass.

Jim