I have committed the ultimate sin!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

I have committed the ultimate sin!

Post by mountaineer »

I ordered a digital SLR last night. Now I'll have to learn photography all over again. I will say that film will not die...I will continue to use it. I have to...there are about 200 rolls in my fridge!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Congratulations !! Which camera did you order ?
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

Yikes, never thought I'd here this :eek: . I'm curious which you bought as well, if it has a 1.6x crop like mine you will notice the 1.6x difference, great for wildlife (my 400mm lens is effectively a 640), makes things interesting for landscapes (17mm is effectively 27) - one of the reasons why I still shoot film (until I bite the bullet and buy the 5D). But nothin' is better than 'free film'
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I ordered the Sigma SD-14.

I am NOT giving up on film. In fact, my wife and my dad went in on it for a birthday present. It might just sit there and collect dust until they quit making film. We'll see...it will be fun to play around with but Velvia 50 is awfully hard to beat.
Last edited by mountaineer on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericZ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by ericZ »

oh, don't worry, i think there's a velvia 50 filter for photoshop! nyuk nyuk nyuk...

eric
fresno, ca.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

I have about a hunnerd rolls of Velvia 50 in my fridge too... haven't gone through 'em much since my wife bought me a 20D and since then I bought a 5D. I take about a dozen rolls of Velvia and my Elan 7 in my pack when I head out but I never seem to load it up. It's just so easy with the 5D. But I haven't been out very much and I still LOVE Velvia 50.

I've taken comparison images side-by-side at times, my Velvia 50/Elan 7 and my 5D. It's weird... for some images I prefer how the digital rendered the scene, and some I prefer the Velvia. I haven't nailed it yet when which one works best under what conditions, so I still shoot both. If I had one new landscape image for every 5,000 shots of my son Gabriel, I'd need a new Flickr account, ha!
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Welcome to the Dark Side!

I'm waiting until the check clears so I can buy my Canon 5D... :unibrow:
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Here are the first shots I took with it. They deer shots were taken with a 50-500 handheld and the moon shots were taken with the 50-500 plus a 2x teleconverter using a tripod. The moon shots are, in order, at the horizon, 30 degrees, and 45 degrees.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

Welcome to the world of pixels ! :D