Traditional Hiking Boots vs. Military Combat Boots

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Traditional Hiking Boots vs. Military Combat Boots

Post by xshift28x »

I just wanted to get some opinions on footwear for hiking. I was thinking of going the traditional hiking boot route but happened to try on some military desert combat boots the other day and found they were surprisingly comfortable. My rationale is that the time our soldiers spend in their boots they must be functionally sound and somewhat comfortable. I'd like some opinions on what I should get and if anyone here uses the MCB's instead of hiking boots.
ChinMusic
Topix Acquainted

Re: Traditional Hiking Boots vs. Military Combat Boots

Post by ChinMusic »

Bottom line: whatever works for folks in footwear is not universal. Personally boots worked the worst for me. I've gone from boots, to mids, to trail runners and am not looking back. I know a guy that hikes primarily in Crocs.

If you find the military boots comfortable it doesn't matter what others think.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Depends on what kind of hiking you do. Trail hiking with a light to moderate pack weight go with the lightweight hiking boot. Off trail/rough terrain with a heavier load go with a heavier boot.

The military boot is designed to support the ankle under rough conditions and protect the foot from external hazards. If your hiking will not expose you to those conditions why carry the extra weight on the end of your legs?

I have a lightweight trail runner, a lightweight hiking boot, and a pair of heavy loggers boots. I choose whichever is appropriate for the conditions.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Different people have different needs in boots. I know one former bc ranger who felt he had to wear heavy mountaineering boots because everytime he wore something less he sprained an ankle. I know another former bc ranger that preferred the lightest and cheapest running shoes he could find. I prefer the lightest most flexible boot I can find on sale. Currently I am using both New Balance 1201s and Lowa Zephers, both with gortex liners. I have done extensive off trail hiking on both on rock and in snow and they work for me. But I don't know if they would for you

To me comfort comes first. If the boot fits and feels good try it and don't worry about who it was made for!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote:Different people have different needs...
Mike
Agree, whatever works for you and screw what others say. If MCBs works for you - great! Personally, after wearing heavy Vasque Sundowners for years, then more Vasque Clarions (do love the Vasque) - tried a pair of trail-runners and wound up rolling ankles just once too often. Now sporting the new LOWA Renegades, which were the most comfortable of all that REI offered.

Do always try though for the lightest footwear possible that gives enough support when toting a backpack, but always slip into camp shoes when the load hits the granite. FYI, Blisters and hot spots can ruin a great trip. If/ when you feel something rubbing, stop and fix immediately...Duct tape works well.
Mountainman who swims with trout
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Having been in the army, I found military combat boots to not be as high quality as what I could get from civilian sources. However, this was before the desert combat boots came out, so I can't comment directly on those particular boots.

I will say that I don't like the closed eyelets used for lacing military boots. You have to loosen them every time and then tighten them up. The open-on-one-side hooks used on civilian hiking boots are a lot easier/faster to deal with.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
DonDeadman
Topix Novice

Post by DonDeadman »

Saw this thread and figured I'd post (even if it's older)...
My friend just got out of the Army after serving, and during that time, he sent me a few things - one of which is a pair of modern Combat Boots. Let me tell you, these things are comfortable! Nothing like the "jungle boots" or "Jump boots" from before. They have the durability the Army needs, and comfort similar to athletic shoes. No, they don't support the ankle as much as my "old trusty" Columbias, but they are so much lighter and less cumbersome.
It might also be that I wear Dr Martens in my day-to-day, so I'm used to boots; but whatever the case, I'll be wearing MCBs.

Something else for those that care: Danner makes a Military-Issue Hiking boot; it's designed for the mountains of Afghanistan. A google search of "Danner military hiker" brings them up. They look awesome.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

I just ordered a new pr. of marine desert boots (bates brand), they have worked the best for me.
Big Man Nelly
Topix Newbie

Post by Big Man Nelly »

I've recently got a pair of 5.11 Speed 3.0 Desert Combat Boots. They feel heavy on their own but when you put them on it's nice and decently light. The soles are hard and grip real well, overall, super stable and comfortable boots.
Big Man Nelly
Topix Newbie

Post by Big Man Nelly »

I've recently got a pair of 5.11 Speed 3.0 Desert Combat Boots. They feel heavy on their own but when you put them on it's nice and decently light. The soles are hard and grip real well, overall, super stable and comfortable boots.