Time for a new rain jacket

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Time for a new rain jacket

Post by rlown »

My old Precip jacket finally failed in a spectacular way. The white inner liner started to flake massively.
It's time for a new rain jacket but I have no clue where to start.

I've been looking at the jackets on REI and the one I like to most is the REI Co-op XeroDry GTX Jacket. I take an XL tall size.
I'm kind of confused on the difference between the liner technologies (Gortex (i know), DryVent, EVODry, Omni-Tech, etc)
I like a shell, as I use my fleece under the shell if I'm chilly.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Re: Time for a new rain jacket

Post by Flamingo »

Hi @rlown, the Outdoor Gear Lab recently posted their roundup review of 2020 rain jackets (link below). OGL is a reader-supported review platform, not sponsored by companies. I've generally found their reviews to be objective and thoughtful. Maybe this helps your quest.

LINK: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/c ... ain-jacket

Unfortunately, the REI Co-op XeroDry was not included in their review.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

My Precip started doing the same thing this winter. Tagging this thread for valuable info.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

There is no single way to evaluate a rain jacket. Some users put priority on rainproofness. Some put priority on breathability. Some put priority on extreme light weight. Some put priority on durability. Some put priority on compactness. Some put priority on low cost.

For winter use, I put my priorities on rainproofness and breathability. For summer use, I put my priorities on light weight and compactness.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Think early July or late September. I'll fish in the rain, so I've always had good luck with Goretex. I don't expect the jacket to last forever, but I don't want it to leak after one season. An example is a thinsulate lined Goretex parka I bought in '90 (the Bud Grant.) I still use it when waterfowl hunting and it doesn't leak after an all day rainy outing in a duck pond.

The precip was light and mostly waterproof which fitted my needs perfectly.

Really just looking to see who bought what jacket and why. Then I can make a decision based on other's usage and experience with their parka.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

rlown,

For the past 3 years I've been using an OR Helium II jacket. It is bare bones, no pockets, no velcro on the cuffs, just a plain rain jacket. The upside is the light weight, mine in size L weighs about 6.5 ounces, which is why I bought it. I don't use it every day so it's just dead weight on those days when it's not used. I always carry rain gear so I wanted something light. I've used it as a windbreaker and in the rain, and it's been fine in those conditions. No complaints. It saved my rear during a hailstorm below Glen Pass two years ago, one of those storms where it's 70 degrees and then 20 minutes later it's 35 degrees. I was happy to have it. I do not usually wear it while hiking, only around camp, which I think adds life to the jacket. It is 2.5 layer, which will eventually peel or crack, but since I do not usually wear it under my pack, I have not experienced any abrasion from pack straps.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

I bought a Patagucci Torrentshell H2NO jacket for $40 from REI because it was returned & heavily discounted. I've put it through the wringer. Used it hiking in the rain around Napa, and in the wind & snow up in Tahoe.

I, personally, don't think Goretex is worth the price, so I just look for a jacket with pit zips that's over sized (to go over everything else) and on sale.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

I have used a variety of lightweight 2.5 layer jackets for years, mostly as wind shells, but when it really rains, they are not so great, except when used in conjunction with an external poncho. They also quickly wear out around the neck and shoulders. If I expect any serious rain, for the last three years if I have used a Montbell Storm Cruiser, and I must say that there is a real increase in comfort. Even when hiking uphill a few thousand feet and suffering from terrible condensation, it is more pleasant to use. It does not "wet out" and stick to me. Slightly heavier and bulkier, but no looking back.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have the same Montbell jacket and it works well hiking in the rain. I wear it all the time in camp as it also is a good wind breaker enhancing insulating layers. It has also held up well in some bushwhacking. I am willing to carry the extra weight simply because it is so multi-use. It never just sits in the bottom of my pack.

After several Precip jackets not working very well and wearing out too quickly, I decided to switch to the Montbell. It is only a few ounces heavier than the Precip, although there are jackets lighter than the Precip if all you need is something to wear in occasional rains, which would work OK in the Sierra (not so well in the Cascades of Rockies).

I have switched to an entirely different approach for coastal hiking. There, I do not try to stay dry, because it usually is futile; I wear my worn out old rain gear that leaks, and think of my outer layer as a wet suit. All of my insulating clothing is kept in a dry-bag inside my pack. I am also toying with an umbrella in the Sierra, and so far, that has mixed reviews.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Pulled the trigger on the REI Co-op XeroDry GTX Jacket. Precip was toast.. Got black instead of blue. If cold when fishing and the sun is out, keeps me warmer.