TR: Great Western Divide + Extras Pt 2 9/14-9/20 2019

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Great Western Divide + Extras Pt 2 9/14-9/20 2019

Post by sekihiker »

Great report and photos for a great trip. Thanks for posting.
torpified
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by torpified »

Stanley Otter wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:56 pm Closer to home and in the remotest part of your fine state, I may finally try to have lunch on the biggest island in the biggest lake on the biggest island in the biggest lake in the world. Less cryptically, I want to take one of my kayaks out to Isle Royale on a ferry and then paddle and portage to the big island on Siskiwit Lake for lunch. But then I remember it's Superior and I come briefly to my senses and turn my attention back to maps of the Sierra. Do you have plans/dreams for the coming season?
Ryan Island for lunch! That is a noble ambition. It wouldn't necessarily take messing with open Superior waters (by kayak). If you're willing to make extensive use of the Voyageur, the ferry that operates from Grand Portage and circumnavigates the island, you can reach Siskiwit by way of a sheltered harbor (Chippewa), inland lakes, and portages. You could see otters! (I try to get to ISRO every year, even though by travel time, its THs are more than twice as far from home than are Sierra THs. I mostly walk, but I'm running out of trails and utterly unintrigued by bushwhacking. So there may be some padding on my horizon.)

This summer: How much I can get away interacts with various household projects. But I've got a Cottonwood Lakes permit, and a scheme for working my way from there to North Lake, sticking mainly to backroads.
Stanley Otter
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Stanley Otter »

torpified wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:33 am (I try to get to ISRO every year, even though by travel time, its THs are more than twice as far from home than are Sierra THs. I mostly walk, but I'm running out of trails and utterly unintrigued by bushwhacking. So there may be some padding on my horizon.)
It certainly isn't the easiest place in the country to get to. And I am with you on bushwhacking anywhere in the North Woods -- not worth it.
torpified wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:33 am This summer: How much I can get away interacts with various household projects. But I've got a Cottonwood Lakes permit, and a scheme for working my way from there to North Lake, sticking mainly to backroads.
This Old House of mine needs some work, too, but the Sierra has been winning my attentions in recent years. I hope you will post a TR of your backroads jaunt -- there's epicness involved.
Roaring in my ears,
the mountain temple's silence.
Nobody else here!
-- Edith Schiffert
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Hey Stanley,

Just a word of thanks for posting your terrific TR. The photos are amazing and brought back lots of memories from the area.

Shawn